Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing Dll Cache From Recovery Partition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

When I run sfc /scannow, towards the end it asks for the xp cd 2 to fix the dll cache.

Here is a picture--

Posted Image

This HP computer is OEM XP Media Center Edition, version 2002, SP2.
It has a recovery partition.
It has the option to create recovery dvd's.(2)

Can one use a cmd window to extract needed files from the recovery partition or write a batch file to get the needed files from the recovery partition?

The recovery partition is drive D:
Everything else is on drive C:

I would prefer a batch file.

I have used recovery CD's when using sfc /scannow & they worked.

If nothing else I guess I could create the recovery dvd's & try using them.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by medab1, 16 November 2007 - 06:57 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:40 AM

To fix the problem when you only have a restore CD you'll have to search for a folder on your hard drive (or on the restore CD) that's named "i386" (without the quotes). Once you find that, copy it to your hard drive at the root (C:\i386). Make sure that the directory is located at the root of your C: drive (C:\i386) - if not, then you'll need to change the path to the proper entry in the registry edit.

Then perform this registry edit to point SFC.EXE at it:

So, the first step is to backup your registry. The easy way to do this is to set a System Restore point ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...temrestore.mspx )

Next, go to Start...Run...and type in "regedit.exe" (without the quotes) and press enter. You'll see a folder-like view on the left, and entries on the right.

Navigate down the folder view on the left to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup Just click on the + sign to expand the view of the next level - so, to start, you'll click on the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and look for the SOFTWARE entry.

Then you'll click on the + next to SOFTWARE and look for Microsoft, and so on (through the Windows and CurrentVersion keys) until you get to the Setup key. Then just click once on the Setup key.

Look in the right hand pane and double click on the entry that says "SourcePath".
In the box that pops up, type in "C:\" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then close regedit and reboot your computer. SFC.EXE /SCANNOW should now run without problems for you.

If so, there's a couple of more things to try (please post your question in the forums) or you can look to see if your system has a repair or a non-destructive recovery option. This option will leave your programs and data intact while replacing all of the Windows files. This is also the next step if SFC.EXE /SCANNOW doesn't fix the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 medab1

medab1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

The i386 file from the recovery dvds I created was 2.47 GBs.
The i386 in C:WINDOWS is about 491 MBs.
I don't want to replace the WINDOWS\i386 with the new one.
That scares me.

I think a repair install is best if it will not cause me to have to re-add the internet connection information.
This computer isn't mine.
I'm just fixing it.

It's been so long since I did a repair install I forget if you have to re-do the internet connection information or not.

They have a cable modem & are connected over the TV cable.
High speed connection...

Edited by medab1, 18 November 2007 - 11:13 PM.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#4 medab1

medab1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Did a repair install.
Some programs failed to work afterwards.
Had them on my thumb drive & reinstalled them quickly.
Nice to keep .exe's on thumb drive.
Saves a lot of time reinstalling.
Lost internet connection.
Readded it easily with help from cable company.

Things work good now.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:16 AM

Glad to hear that you got it working again! Thanks for letting us know!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 medab1

medab1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

I hate repair installs.
Had to download 98 Windows Updates.
Still,there may be some Trojans or other installed issues that may cause problems.

I'll deal with it.
If it was my computer I would do a clean install.
This computer belongs to my brother in law.
He is an an bleep.
Pardon my language.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

You can always use the excuse that the computer was too infected to repair! :thumbsup: Then a backup and a fresh install of Windows (with all the drivers and Windows Updates) would leave him in good condition! It's the old "Sorry, but we've got no alternative but to wipe and reinstall :flowers: !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users