Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 M1R463

M1R463

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

Okay, so I've been building/upgrading various PCs for close to 8 yrs now... however it's always and on-and-off kinda hobby of mine that keeps me in-the-loop about technology and I've learned through trial and error about compatibilities of hardware.

My motherboard is a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard here's a link i found that has all you might need to know about the motherboard here.

This is the Processor i have in it already; an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BIBOX. Here is a link with the all the tech info.

Now, this is the Processor i would like to exchange my old one for; yay!

Could anyone tell me if my motherboard can support the series regardless or not... i read the specs and know that it says it'll only support Athlon 64/FX, Sempron; however, i have a feeling it might still support the Opteron or am i just fooling myself?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to any dual core that will fit this motherboard or of any better (that means decently priced too) single cores that you can think of too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

Your motherboard is a socket 939, and the processor is a socket 939, so it should be fine. I have the same processor, and I love it. With 2 gigs of ram, I have never bogged it down.

Anyway, it takes just a few seconds to use the online tech chat at Newegg (when they are running) so they should be able to tell you for sure.

#3 M1R463

M1R463
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:51 AM

That's what i had originally thought but my roommate gave me a little doubt when he asked me about the compatibility between the MB and the Processor. I would think that because it's the same socket that it would be able to support any series of 939 processor. Well let's hope that it will because i don't even know what will/would/could happen if it didn't support the series... :thumbsup:

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:17 AM

You might want to be sure the BIOS is up-to-date. I see there was extra CPU support in later BIOS versions but I don't see anything about the Opteron. Have you also tried the AMD site, to see if it is a substitute for the others?

I also noticed at the DFI site http://us.dfi.com.tw that you can contact their Customer Support. You might try that. I know many board manufacturers talk about their support but when you try and get it you quickly find out it really doesn't exist.

Good luck,

DR

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:23 AM

My board is not specific to Opterons either, and it works just fine. Again, since you wnt to but the processor from Newegg, ask them. The live chat is for support issues, and it is free, and it only takes a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users