Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recall of Xbox Power Cords, Fire danger in older machines

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:12 AM

Microsoft said it decided on the Xbox power cord recall because seven people reported that they burned their hands and 23 said the failure caused smoke damage or minor damage to a carpet or entertainment center. By Susan B. Shor TechNewsWorld 02/17/05 11:23 AM PT Microsoft announced today an offer to replace the power cords on 14.1 million Xboxes worldwide because they can overheat, causing smoke and fire damage, the company said. The affected game consoles were made before January 12, 2004, except in continental Europe, where the cutoff date is October 23. 2003.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:51 AM

No Big Deal, Analyst Says
The issue is unlikely to cause a ripple in the console's popularity, one analyst said.

"I had never heard of the problem and it sounds extremely minor. I can't imagine it having any effect on the Xbox business," David Cole of DFC Intelligence told TechNewsWorld.

Consumers can order a replacement cord, which will take two to four weeks to arrive, at www.xbox.com or by calling (866) 271-0450 in the United States.

"There probably won't be a huge rush to replace power cords. I know from my personal experience I am not that concerned," Cole said

If mr. Cole don't give damn about burning down the house, yeah.. than no big deal..
To heat up the power cord you'll need a machine that draws 20A+(220v) or 40A+ 120v from mains.. 20Ax220v= 4400W!!!
Now if your circuit braker is still alive after that load, you are solicitating for risk of fire hazard.. Not only because your power cord heats up, but because ALL wireing on that group starts to act as heater element..
In my entire life I never had anything that would overload power cord, and I had some serious power amplifires (pair of Krell's MDA-500)
That's why I can't imagine Xbox would draw so much current.. If this is true, I wonder that nobody noticed sky high electricity bill's..

Edited by Notorious, 22 February 2005 - 07:14 AM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users