Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Vundo Infections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blakethornton

blakethornton

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

I think it's from something all these users are installing called sopcast (which shouldn't be on a work PC even if it is a legit program)

Has anyone else noticed sopcast on vundo infected systems?

Anyone know where else does Vundo might originate from?

I wish I could lock their laptops down more, but due to the nature of our business I can not, so I just have to deal with it :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

"Win32.Vundo Family"

Please follow the the instructions for using Vundofix in BC's self-help tutorial: "How To Remove Vundo/Winfixer Infection".

Then download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:57 PM

Two out of Six reviews said they got infected from Sopcast. Not a work program. P2P, etc.
http://www.download.com/SopCast/3000-2424_4-10729538.html

Edited by Animal, 16 November 2007 - 10:31 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 blakethornton

blakethornton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

Oh, I'm getting pretty proficient at removing it... I've got a USB drive full of tools.

It's just becoming a huge pain in the ass... and since I don't have control over their laptops as I would in a normal managed environment I can't block everything but a few sites

Thanks for the link to download.com, I realized it was P2P program... and with the nature of these laptops I wouldn't mind a P2P program (utorrent, or similar) that doesn't hose their systems.

Now I will yell at them about this crap.

I think also im just going to start formatting their laptops as a punishment for getting it infected!

I'm also curious, does SUPERAntiSpyware Free work better than spybot / adaware? I usually run both of those...

Edited by blakethornton, 16 November 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

Using any P2P (peer-to-peer) file sharing program is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information. Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer.

The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. However, this practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft. Even if you change those risky default settings to a safer configuration, the act of downloading files from an anonymous source greatly increases your exposure to infection. This is because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Many malicious worms and trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities.

Edited by quietman7, 16 November 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users