Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speech/voice Recognition Utilities?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

Hi'ya.

So to explain further what I want.. I want to for instance tell my computer to do stuff like checking email by saying "email" or whatever is possible. Until now I couldn't do this becasue I had the Norwegian version of XP but I ordered the English version online and installed that.

Anybody here know what I need to get something like this to work? What I can do with this and what applications I need to pull this off.

I have Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1 installed, my old Windows wouldn't let me install it so am I good to go if I get some nice apps?
(Free apps is top be preferred since I can't buy anything to my rig until after Xmas. Appreciate any input :thumbsup:
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

Here's a link on how to configure and use Speech recognition in XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306537
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DVtriple6

DVtriple6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks a lot man, seems like I have some reading to do :thumbsup:

Gotto love that M$ never mention any 3rd party applications in their articles, only their own
:flowers:

Anybody know about some apps (free or trial) I dont have the 100 bucks for Dragon Naturally Speaking right now and I'm not even sure if it's worth it. Or should I just go Vista, first chance I get?
Posted Image

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:15 PM

Here's a list of a few free speech recognition software and you can probably find more by doing a Google search.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Speech-Recognition-HOWTO/software.html

#5 DVtriple6

DVtriple6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:53 PM

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I've already been on Google but didn't find anything promising.
Posted Image

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

Some more reading to do
http://www.microsoft.com/speech/speech2007/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

You could also just use OPERA Browser which has built in voice. Opera is a great browser anyway but voice recognition is the icing.

INFO http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/voice/using/

Commands: I have a comprehensive list of commands but it is .rtf format which PhotoBucket will not accept, sorry. ( The list is built in anyway - For a list of voice commands, click on the voice button and say "Opera voice commands". ...)

Have a play and see what you think. Great for having text read to you.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 18 November 2007 - 06:14 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 DVtriple6

DVtriple6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

Yeah I know, I love Opera. It would be my primary browser if it only supported Roboform...

Thanks Mark =)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users