Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Securing Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

I have a cable internet connection through a cable modem connected to a wired Linksys router (model no.BEFSR41), to which is connected a PC running XP, a printer, and a Linksys wireless access point in another area of the house ( model WAP54G). The WAP is used for a PC running Vista with a built in wireless network card and a laptop which is used both here and at work (running XP). The only thing shared between the comps is the printer, no other files or folders have been designated for sharing. The laptop does not use the printer but I would like it to have the option of doing so in the future and I may want in the future to have the comps share music libraries(itunes). I would also like a guest's laptop to be able to access the internet from time to time(if necessary with a password). If the only danger is allowing a stranger to access the internet using my signal I don't really care, but I do not want it to be possible for personal information on the machines to be obtained. The network at the moment is not secured. Do I need to secure it, and if so , how do I do it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

Secure your network, you are paying for the bandwidth. Also, you would be responsible for any illegal downloading that could happen through your IP address if you are not secure.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Old F@rt, that's good enough for me. Can you or someone direct me on how to do it?

#4 gshaver2006

gshaver2006

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:39 PM

Securing your wireless network is always a good thing. If you have not set a password for it already, find out what the IP for your router is. I forget what it is for mine. Enter that into IE7's url bar, and you should have access to the security panel inside your router. I recommend WPA-PSK protection, and choose a password with both letters and numbers; upper and lowercase. Do not store this password in a file on any system on the home network, but make sure it is easily memorable in case you want to let on a guest computer.

Since all of the LinkSys wireless routers' wireless chips are made by Broadcom, and some wireless laptops have internal Broadcom wireless cards, those computers will have a better connection to the network, but any wireless card should work.

Securing your home network is vital, plus, if your neighbors connect through it, they could access your files easily and slow down your internet connection.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

the default ip address for linksys is 192.168.1.1, the password is admin, leave the user blank. see post above.

#6 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

Did it. I used WPA-PSK per above reply. Not difficult at all and well worth the peace of mind. Thanks to both of you for your help.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:25 PM

Great, Thanks for the reply on your results.

#8 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

I am trying to set up WPA security on my Dlink DSL-G604T modem/router but I find the instructions are a bit vague so I am reluctant to proceed. I've had the modem/router unsecured for several years but I've just moved house and security is more important here.

The instructions refer to PSK Hex preshared key and PSK string preshared key. Do I put in both of these?

And what happens when I want to connect to the network using my wireless laptop, does a dialogue box appear in which I type something?

I also understand it is good practice to change the modem login and password from the manufacturer's default but how do I do it?

I also have an HP C6180 all in one printer/scanner but I cannot get it to print from the laptop via the DSL-G604T. The C6180 has a wireless connection of its own and will print from the laptop if the ethernet cable is pulled out of the back of the printer, but thats not a lot of help if I also want to print from my desktop machine and need the cable in. Is there a setting somewhere in the router that I have to change? Both computers are Vista HP.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users