Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When Mother board goes w/XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:07 PM

:thumbsup: One problem that has me perplexed . When a customers motherboard goes down , it means reformatting and re-installing XP. Of course all my customer info is gone. If you try to boot up With the new motherboard XP will not load. It launches a critical error and says the boot sector has a virus. I know that XP has this built in to prevent it from being installed on several different computers . This anti-piracy is based upon motherboards bios.

I will not build a computer with pirated software but when the legal owner of the PC and the software needs his computer fixed he should not have to lose all his info. This is when I miss 98 , ME. Under those most computers it was replace motherboard and after several reboots you were all ready to go with all your data intact.

has anybody come up with a work around for this ?
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:40 PM

What kind of computer are we talking about? According to MS, if you get an OEM motherboard from the manufacturer, with SLP (System-Locked Preinstall) in the BIOS, that's all you need. They don't mention any re-install. Maybe you can sort it out from This Page

Is it possible to do a repair install and save the data?

#3 hays47

hays47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:05 AM

We are talking about custom built. On two different customers I had used a microstar motherboard because of its rating . Both failed during the warranty period. In both cases I replaced with an Asus motherboard. Both timed XP refused to load , regardless of their website saying no problem, and I had to reformat and re-installl. I since quit using Microstar and use Abit, Asus or Soyo motherboards now.

I am assuming that if I had replaced a big name computer manufacturer with an identical board such a problem would not have occurred. For example a dell with a dell, hp with an hp.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users