Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Daily Restart?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

Okay then,I figured out how to get the shortcut icon to my desktop :thumbsup:

I will now read thru the rest of the tutorial for startup list(may take quite some time). I'm probably going to present my system's startup list for scrutiny too.

Wish me luck!
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

Okay then,I figured out how to get the shortcut icon to my desktop :thumbsup:

I will now read thru the rest of the tutorial for startup list(may take quite some time). I'm probably going to present my system's startup list for scrutiny too.

Wish me luck!
honu1

That would be wise. You can't be too careful
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#18 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

My startup list is very extensive-yikes!
I have downloaded the auto runs program as suggested. I have a concern about one file already. Is it possible for me to copy+paste my entire startup list here at some particular BC forum, or do I have do do 1 at a time?

The entry of concern is hkccmd.exe
The search tool gave it a status of 2 U's and 1 X. Some type of back door malware???

This is all so very new to me, but I'm willing to learn.

Also, is it okay for me to uncheck the items that have a status of N?

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#19 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

You must be sure to type EXACTLY what it shows.
hkcmd.exe is a legitimate, though unnecessary app.
hkccmd.exe doesn't show up anywhere that I can find and should be considered suspect.
I think your best bet would be to go to the malware Hijack This forum and be good and sure you're infection free before turning things off
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#20 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

My daughter left hers on all night And ended up cooking her motherboard. The program that checks your temp maybe all right but if something happens at night when the computer is on and your asleep and the program says it is getting hot. Who is suppose take care of that Plus the repair person told her not to leave it on all night when not in use. This just my opinion Others may have better answers.

not_anyone

How a little kid runs equipment isn't necessarily a guide for the rest of us.
Some people do run servers 24/7 without the building burning down. :thumbsup:

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#21 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:58 PM

hkccmd.exe is the hot key controller for your keyboard.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#22 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:33 PM

My daughter left hers on all night And ended up cooking her motherboard. The program that checks your temp maybe all right but if something happens at night when the computer is on and your asleep and the program says it is getting hot. Who is suppose take care of that Plus the repair person told her not to leave it on all night when not in use. This just my opinion Others may have better answers.

not_anyone

Your comment was rude and insulting to the person. Smiley face or not He/she was just relating an experience they encountered
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#23 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

not_anyone

Your comment was rude and insulting to the person. Smiley face or not He/she was just relating an experience they encountered
Mark

That's your interpretation. If you reread the OP's question and my original response I think you'd see that
it's impossible to be prescient if someone is going to develop a bad power supply. A CPU temp monitor
program tells you if the CPU is running hot, not if the power supply has a short.

If the OP is under 12 then I'd say she should follow the repair guy's advice and turn everything off before
bedtime.

- Groucho Marx

#24 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

Just an observation from a novice computer user.

If you leave your computer on, say 24/7 , does that not run the life expectancy of the components down more quickly than when turned off.

Kind of like a light bulb. There is only so much expected performance until it burns out.

Why have the computer fan and other things running and putting wear and tear on the system for no reason ?

Am I off base in my thinking ??

Dennis :thumbsup:

#25 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

...So I have come to the conclusion it is a personal choice. Select reasons for or against and make your own choice based on your own personal use.

Thank you, that's the best answer yet. I've vacillated for years, leaning toward leaving it on most of the time.

#26 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

hi nancy,,, for now try to stop things like programs that came bundled with your pc ,,, things like itunes or a media player,,, all things that you can start up when you need them,,,if you look at the system tray,,, bottom right corner,,, you will see a lot of icons ,, these are things that are running,,, put the cursor on them to see what they are then go in to msconfig and stop them,,,,, to enter msconfig click on start then click run & type msconfig in box and hit enter,,, click on start up tab and look for the programs you dont want & uncheck them & click apply then ok,,, it will ask you to do a restart click yes,,,,, a tip write down the one's you stop & only do 2-3 at a time,,, going back to remove more if you like,,,, do not stop any security programs,,, ie your anti virus and your anti spyware programs,,,,,
good luck,,,,,,, Figgis

PS after using msconfig and getting use to it,,, you can have a look at using the very good program mark has recomended,,, also creat a restor point befor you use it will help incase it all goes belly up,,, lol,,,, good luck

MSConfig is good for trouble shooting, but to turn off services, you should go to Start>administrative tools>services. Find a service(process) to turn off, double click it and select "Disable." Or use the program, Autoruns, in addition to Process explorer. They're meant to work together, and give more options and information about the processes you're tinkering with. In Autoruns, sort it by manufacturer, and some unnecessary stuff is more obvious.

#27 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

If you leave your computer on, say 24/7 , does that not run the life expectancy of the components down more quickly than when turned off.

Actually, the opposite is true. How many light bulbs have you had just suddenly go dead while they were on? And how many have you had pop when you turned them on?

Electronic components don't appreciate having power supplied and removed over and over. First, there's the power spike that goes through every electronic device when power is first applied. It's not a Taser-like jolt, but it's still there. Secondly, when electronic devices are powered up and then down for extended periods (on while you're working and off while you're sleeping, for example), the components heat up and cool down over and over. This isn't good for their life-expectancy.

As some have said, though, the choice is up to the individual. My own computer is powered down when:

- We move

- There's a power failure

- I'm adding /replacing parts*

And those are about the only times it's off. The time that no one is likely to be using it, when we're sleeping (not too sure about the dog, though. I've found some strange things in my browser history. :flowers: ), is the time I schedule my anti- virus/ad/spy programs to run (which can take 3 - 4 hours).

So probably the best thing to do is whatever makes you comfortable. :thumbsup:

#28 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:37 AM

If you're running the computer stand-alone, then you can disable almost* all of the processes that deal with computers running on a network. If you're not on a network, what do you need 'em for?

* There are a couple that have to be enabled, network or no. But study, study, before messing around too much. I have yet to find a way to screw things up so badly that they couldn't be unscrewed, just by disabling some processes. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. :thumbsup:

Edited by MattV, 21 November 2007 - 04:13 PM.

#29 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:48 AM

Actually, the opposite is true. How many light bulbs have you had just suddenly go dead while they were on? And how many have you had pop when you turned them on?

Electronic components don't appreciate having power supplied and removed over and over. First, there's the power spike that goes through every electronic device when power is first applied. It's not a Taser-like jolt, but it's still there. Secondly, when electronic devices are powered up and then down for extended periods (on while you're working and off while you're sleeping, for example), the components heat up and cool down over and over. This isn't good for their life-expectancy.

Thanks for the information MattV.

Does this apply to my cell phones, HDTV's, etc; ?

I hope I am on point with these questions and not hijacking your thread honu 1.

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 21 November 2007 - 05:50 AM.

#30 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback. The past few days my system has been acting strange(sluggish), so maybe I should try to give it a rest every day.

Thanks again for your comments! :thumbsup:

honu1

A few bits of info might help us guess what's slowing down
your system a bit better.

How much of your hard drive capacity is in use?

Do you ever defragment your hard drive?

Have you ever cleaned the registry?

How much Ram are you running?

Usually if things were running ok and then start to slow down
and it's not a virus or spyware, and you didn't install a whole
bunch of utilities that start up at boot time, then the disk
fragmentation has reached a point where it impacts performance.
Also if you let Windows manage the swapfile default out of the
box, then when the disk gets a bit fragmented Windows is wasting
a lot of time and energy playing with the size of the swapfile(at
least on XP Home. XP Pro uses a saner approach to swapfile
management.)

Also if you do need to defrag the hard drive I'd recommend you
get a 3rd party defragger. Many of the free ones are better
than the defrag.exe that comes with Windows. (Auslogics has
a good freebie I can recommend from experience but there
are others too.)

- Groucho Marx