Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Daily Restart?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

I recently read at another helpful computer hints place that it is a good practice to always shut down your system each night. It is supposed to keep things running smoother that way.

I leave my system on 24/7 with only the monitor turned off while not in use.

I do run weekly adware/spyware virus checks also.

Is it harmful to my system to stay on all the time?

Thanks
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

A restart was a good idea back in the Win9x days because it was really a graphical interface stuck on top of Dos. The memory management wasn't too sophisticated and you'd get fragmented memory which would hurt perfomance.

AFA hurting your computer, I'd get one of those utilities like Speedfan that tells you the temperature of your CPU and hard drive. If it's running cool you should be okay. On the web sites for the CPU and HD manufacturer you should be able to find normal operating temperature specs. If you're in an air conditioned room and the PC is sitting idle it shouldn't bother anything. Only other concern is having a UPS so if there's a power glitch you don't hose your file system.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

It probably will not harm your computer, although it will take (and waste) electricity not to mention adding to your monthly bill; however, giving your computer the opportunity to reset itself and re-initialise can be very beneficial to its performance.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

Second the comments by John.

If the system isn't working at something specific...what's the point of having it on?

If you insist on having it on, you could use that time to do all sorts of maintenance functions (run chkdsk /r on each drive, defrag, etc.) that probably don't get done routinely.

Louis

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

I have yet to find a definitive and compelling reason for either case to be honest. The strongest argument is for saving electricity. But if you donate your cycles to a worthy cause such as distributed computing, then that negates that argument.

So I have come to the conclusion it is a personal choice. Select reasons for or against and make your own choice based on your own personal use.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback. The past few days my system has been acting strange(sluggish), so maybe I should try to give it a rest every day.

Thanks again for your comments! :thumbsup:

honu1

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

Other than saving on the electric bill the only other reason that I can see to turn it off is to allow OS update to initialize.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

dc3
Can you explain in simpler terms what OS update to initialize means? I am a real beginner here....sigh.

Thanks
honu1

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

dc3
Can you explain in simpler terms what OS update to initialize means? I am a real beginner here....sigh.

Thanks
honu1

Sometimes at the end of an update, not only windows Update, it will prompt you to restart the computer for the changes to take effect
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 not_anyone

not_anyone

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:32 AM

My daughter left hers on all night And ended up cooking her motherboard. The program that checks your temp maybe all right but if something happens at night when the computer is on and your asleep and the program says it is getting hot. Who is suppose take care of that Plus the repair person told her not to leave it on all night when not in use. This just my opinion Others may have better answers.

not_anyone

#11 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:06 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your thoughts :flowers:

It may be that I have so many programs running at start up that it takes my system longer to get going. The thing is....someone else advised me of these+I am pretty clueless as what is really needed or not. Sounds like I have lots of computer education to learn! :thumbsup:

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your thoughts :flowers:

It may be that I have so many programs running at start up that it takes my system longer to get going. The thing is....someone else advised me of these+I am pretty clueless as what is really needed or not. Sounds like I have lots of computer education to learn! :thumbsup:

If you look at the top of the page you'll see a tab labeled startup list. It explains all the processes running and what you can safely disable using a program such as this one not MSCONFIG
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hey, I really appreciate all your input. :trumpet:

The inner sanctum of the start up list is very, very scary :flowers: I'm not sure what everything is + it's gonna take a lot of research,especially note taking.

Mark, the link you gave me for the download has me a bit perplexed. Am I to understand that it shows everything running on my system at start up? I'm still not sure what I absolutely have to have. I can download that link, but don't know what to do with it from there....sigh. I'll keep plugging away at it tho. I'm bound+determined to learn my computer! :thumbsup:

Thanks
Nancy

#14 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

hi nancy,,, for now try to stop things like programs that came bundled with your pc ,,, things like itunes or a media player,,, all things that you can start up when you need them,,,if you look at the system tray,,, bottom right corner,,, you will see a lot of icons ,, these are things that are running,,, put the cursor on them to see what they are then go in to msconfig and stop them,,,,, to enter msconfig click on start then click run & type msconfig in box and hit enter,,, click on start up tab and look for the programs you dont want & uncheck them & click apply then ok,,, it will ask you to do a restart click yes,,,,, a tip write down the one's you stop & only do 2-3 at a time,,, going back to remove more if you like,,,, do not stop any security programs,,, ie your anti virus and your anti spyware programs,,,,,
good luck,,,,,,, Figgis

PS after using msconfig and getting use to it,,, you can have a look at using the very good program mark has recomended,,, also creat a restor point befor you use it will help incase it all goes belly up,,, lol,,,, good luck

Edited by figgis41, 18 November 2007 - 01:44 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#15 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

I can't seem to get a shortcut on my desktop for autoruns.exe. When I clicked on the link I got some type of message about a zip file---oh bother! :thumbsup: I don't handle those well at all I'm afraid.

I'm just going to keep searching for the right way to do this. Wish me luck

Nancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users