Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 banto

banto

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

I'm using Firefox most of the time, but need to use IE7 for microsoft sites (updates etc). When I type an address in the address bar I get a box saying "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control panel.
I've tried the folder options, but I'm afraid that I can't find a way of creating an association.

Also, if I'm not asking too much, when I click on a link in outlook express it does not re-direct me to that link, do I need to alter something to allow this.

Many thanks (in anticipation) from my very first post (on this or any other forum)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer banto :thumbsup:

Sounds like one or more registered file associations are configured incorrectly. To repair the associations, please follow the instructions from "Inside Outlook Express": Hyperlinks in messages stop working.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 banto

banto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:34 AM

Many thanks for your quick reply,
I tried what you suggested but when I opened:-

Control Panel:
Folder OPtions:
File Types:
URL etc etc :
ADVANCED
There were no "actions" listed in the "ACTIONS" box

After checking one or two other File Types, I tried typing "Open" in the (NEW) actions box and pasted your C/ Program files etc. etc into the "Application used to Perform Action" box
and got the "specified program could not be found" box.

Do I need to re-install IE?

#4 banto

banto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:28 AM

I've downloaded and re-installed IE now and all seems perfect.

It just strikes me that there was probably a much simpler solution and that I have somehow messed up some options.
Anyway thanks, and I will continue to read the site and in particular the (very good) tutorials

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:41 AM

Glad to hear you've got it all sorted out, banto :thumbsup:

For new members, along with the the Tutorials section, we always recommend the New User Orientation section, to get familiarized with how the board works.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users