Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Screwed Up My System!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 oliverclosov

oliverclosov

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hey guys, can anyone help me as I don't want to do a re-install of vista :huh:

I have an acer system 4200+ AMD Athlon 64x2 dual-core processor, ati radeon X-1650 se graphics card running vista home premium, 2GB ddr memory, 250GB hard-drive. I have had this system for about 5 months and haven't had a problem until yesterday......I did a windows update which installed a bit defender update, something for the x1650 graphics card, and something to do with vista media center something ? then it asked to restart the system for the updates to take effect and when it got to my log-in screen, I wasn't able to use my mouse or keyboard, it was like it was frozen? So I restarted it again and chose safe mode and the same thing.....just frozen......I I tried to restart to normal mode and just left it for a while, after about 5 minutes the log-in screen was gone and the system was running some kind of computer information movie like you see in the store where is it tells you about all the different stuff your acer system offers you and how good the sytem is etc....and if I try the mouse or keyboard it still doesn't do anything, the info movie keeps playing :huh:

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

Did you make a set of restore discs? Since Windows came out with Auto Update the first thing I do when I buy a new machine is turn it off. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. OTOH I just did a Vista manual update myself yesterday. I have a backup imaging program that will restore the PC back to the point of the save.. with all installed programs.. and I had already tried it to make sure it works.

Story short, don't change it if you're not confident you can put it back if it breaks.
If you have the restore set, try booting it selecting the "Fix" option. Maybe the
update hosed your booting sequence or something that can be fixed. Other
than that, you're probably looking at a reinstall/restore.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 oliverclosov

oliverclosov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

I think it was the graphics card update that screwed me up, I when windows update installs stuff, it shows "creating a restore point" before it actually installs the updates, so I thought if something got messed up, I could easily restore it back to the point before the update?
I have a system restore disk that the system asked me to make when I 1st bought it and turned it on, I also made a system back-up disk a few months ago, but there must be a way to uninstall the last updates or restore my system without having to lose everything ?

When I put in the restore disk, it says that it will restore the computer back to the day I bought it and will erase everything on the harddrive-----I don't want to erase everything :huh:

Is there anything I can do ?

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

Try these suggestions.

1) Try System Restore from a command prompt to a point before you installed those updates. Hopefully your keyboard will operate so you can type in the command. Instructions here:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...e3bda91033.mspx

2) Load the Windows Vista Recovery Environment either from the Vista DVD (if you have one) or check with your OEM on how to do boot into that if you don't have a Windows CD.

3) Enter the BIOS setup menu and make sure you have keyboard & mouse support enabled....or change back to factory options.

Good luck. :huh:

#5 oliverclosov

oliverclosov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

I am going F-ing crazy :huh: when I chose to boot to a safe mode with command prompt or anything for that matter, It just brings me to a frozen log-in screen :huh:(

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

The 'optional' update for ATI PCI filter driver, was probably the cause....other's are having the same problem

What they have been able to do is find the ATi driver in device manager and remove it. From what one person said, it uninstalled a 'bunch of things'. When it was done, they rebooted their machine and it automatically started installing new drivers. Their machine was back to normal.

Is there anyway that you can get to your drivers by typing msconfig in the run box? If you can... click on the tools tab, then click on Computer Management. Next, click launch. In the left column, click on Device Manager. In the box that (hopefully) shows up...Click on the display adapter. That should bring up the ATI driver

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:17 AM

In the same vein with MilesAhead's "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - I'd suggest changing the settings in Windows Updates to notify you when it's ready for updates - and then select only the updates that you feel are necessary. FWIW - I NEVER install any hardware drivers from Windows Update because I've had several problems with them in the past. If I need a hardware update, I visit the website of the hardware manufacturer for the update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

it shows "creating a restore point" before it actually installs the updates, so I thought if something got messed up, I could easily restore it back to the point before the update?

I don't blame you. I was getting by for years with Restore Points and just saving important files on CD or DVD or whatever. Then when I got a virus that deleted my C: partition I broke down and shelled out the $50 for an imaging backup program. Where the Restore Point lets you down is if the system is so hosed you can't get to use it.

It sounds like you're getting good advice specific to the graphics card driver. So I wouldn't do anything drastic until you verify that you just can't regress to the old one. Hang in there and try not to make decisions while you're all pissed off(easier said than done) :huh:

- Groucho Marx

#9 oliverclosov

oliverclosov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

I was not even able to access my computer in safe mode, it still froze at the log-in screen.

I was however able to access my hard drive by connecting it to my other system using it as a usb mass storage device. I was able to copy all of my importatnt files to disks incase I have to reformat.

My big question now is......does anyone know how or what file I should delete on the hard drive in order to put it back in it's system and have it able to start up again and to just have to reinstall the drivers for the graphics card. I don't know where the folder is for the graphics card updates.....I don't even know where I should begin to look

Thanks for the help :huh:

#10 oliverclosov

oliverclosov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

I found a folder named "windows/system32/drivers" .....do I need to delete any or all of these ati files to get my system to boot up again?

ati2erec.dll
atikmdag.sys
AtiPcie.sys
ativcaxx.cpa
ativcaxx.vp
ativdkxx.vp
ativokxx.vp
ativpkxx.vp
ativvpxx.vp

#11 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

No, stay out of that folder....

Do this (or follow my earlier instructions)

1. Go to Device Manager (To access device manager, Go to START/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM & MAINTENANCE/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER

2. Expand "SYSTEM DEVICES"

3. Find "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER DRIVER" and delete it.

4. Reboot

5. Check and make sure "ATI PCI EXPRESS (3GIO) FILTER" has been deleted.
If it has not, restart at step 3.

6. If it has been deleted, Reboot 1 or 2 more times and then your computer should be OK.

I did not update my driver...so my snapshot may be different from what you see (click to enlarge the thumbnail)
Posted Image

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#12 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

Have you tried online to see if the manufacturer has a support page on the web?
Chances are other people with the same model PC are having the same problem.
There may be step by step instructions how to back the driver off or do a repair
of the OS install.

Usually there's a repair option as well as the "complete reinstall" option.
Maybe you're not pressing a key you need to or are missing seeing it
in the menus.

- Groucho Marx

#13 oliverclosov

oliverclosov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

I can only access the hard drive while it is connected as a mass storage device on my other system......I can not access anything when it is in it's own system, it freezes at the vista log-in screen, I can't even boot into safe mode or anything and restor doesn't work either.
Is there any way that I can delete the drivers for the card through the folders while it is on my old system as a usb mass storage device? If I delete the ATI folder and then reinstall the drive into it's system, will it not boot up and then ask me to reinstall the drivers or something?

#14 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

If you have saved everything that you want or need, I would suggest either a 'repair' install (pinned above in the tutorials) or a clean install.

That is sooo sad that you can't get anywhere on your system with that optional update... :huh:

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:27 AM

If you can't boot into Safe Mode - then it's not the ATI drivers that are causing the issue. Windows boots into Safe Mode using it's generic video drivers rather than the ATI one's.
I'd suggest reading this thread for some alternatives: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/53...st-restart.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users