Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hand Pain, Need Better Mouse

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lil-ly

Lil-ly

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:48 AM

I am sorry if this is a bad place to put this question, but I figured that maybe someone here could help me.

I am wondering if there is a better mouse that I could use to relieve some pain that I have been having in my hand, wrist and arm. It seems to hurt the most when I have been writing a lot or using the computer. My doctor doesn't seem to think that it is a carpal tunnel problem just tight muscles etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could recommend a more ergonomic mouse or have any other advice?

thank you kindly,
Lily

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

I'm having to guess here that you are using the conventional mouse that you move in order to move the pointer. If this is the case you might try a track ball type mouse, they stay stationary and the pointer is moved by rolling the ball. You read more and see what they look like here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:07 AM

I love my trackball. It also comes with a detachable palm-rest
http://us.kensington.com
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 16 November 2007 - 10:08 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hello Lily.

I have a similar problem that's exacerbated as the weather gets colder and have been diagnosed with Raynaud's Disorder, which involves the circulation system.

Changing to a very large mouse has helped somewhat, since my hand is less cramped. An ergonomic keyboard helps, too, because it forces my fingers to spread further apart rather than being confined to a smaller area. You might also try exercising with one of those little squishy balls, as well as taking frequent breaks if you're at the computer for any length of time. Even the height of your keyboard could make a difference and the kind of chair you sit in, too.

When it's really bad, I rest my hand on a heating pad. Recently I've seen some commercials on TV for a glove or wrap called Therma..... (something), and I'm going to try to find that at Walgreen's.

Here's an interesting site I found by Googling the words "ergonomic keyboard mouse chair advice":

SafeComputingTips.com

And here's the Google search itself.

I hope you get some relief!

#5 Lil-ly

Lil-ly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Sorry to not specify what mouse I have been using - yes it is the traditional one that you have to move around.

I have seen the trackballs and I suppose you get used to them. I will keep them in mind!

Has anyone seen or heard of a hand held mouse like a little remote control? I saw the librarian with one and haven't seen them anywhere.

Also thank you for the tips on safe computing. I see as I work at my computer more and more I am going to need to improve my set-up! I have a bad keyboard at the wrong height and positioned in the worst placement possible!

no wonder I need relief! :thumbsup:
Lily

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

Actually there are such mice
http://www.usbgeek.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Iogear-Phaser-Hand-H...ireless-Pointer
More

Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 gshaver2006

gshaver2006

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

I used to have this problem, but now I use a Logitech MX Revolution mouse. I still have to move it, but I like how it has a place to rest my thumb so I'm not gripping the mouse constantly. I have found that high-performance gaming mice are preferrable to other mice because they are made to be used for long periods of time. If the pain goes all the way up your wrist and arm, I suggest getting foam or gel wrist pads. Anything, even a rolled-up towel, is better than resting your wrists on the edge of your desk.

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for those links, Mark. I found some USB Heating Gloves! Anyone know how I could find out what kind of power usage they might involve? Heh, I'm also tempted by the slippers. :-)

Lily, I don't know about you, but I would find the trackball more irritating to my condition. Even that cool-looking fish mouse.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for those links, Mark. I found some USB Heating Gloves! Anyone know how I could find out what kind of power usage they might involve? Heh, I'm also tempted by the slippers. :-)

Lily, I don't know about you, but I would find the trackball more irritating to my condition. Even that cool-looking fish mouse.

My vote for most worthless USB device
http://i136.photobucket.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

:huh: :thumbsup: :huh:
That is absolutely priceless, Mark!

Gshaver, I really like the looks of that mouse. And moving it is actually a good thing for me. Thanks for the info. <Dialer starts emailing friends with her Xmas wish list>

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

I'll second the mention of the MX Revolution. I recently had a chance to use one, and now there is no way I'm giving it back. It's easy to move and comfortable to hold, and well worth every penny. Plus it has a lot of extra features.

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

I love my MX revolution too!

However, at work I have a Wacom tablet and LOVE IT. I was well on the road to carpal tunnel syndrome when I ordered a 4x6 tablet-wow, just wow. My wrist and hand never hurt again. You can check them out HERE. Some of them can get pricey, but there's one HERE for $79. Any tablet you get will take some getting used to, but since you hold it like a pencil you won't get the wrist pain. Once you get the hang of a tablet, you'll fall in love with it!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

I'll give you a small mod/upgrade for trackballs, Kensigton anyways. The little (1/16") round guides the the ball sits in will eventually wear. I replaced mine with industrial-grade ceramic balls, form an industrial supplier like McMaster-Carr. It flies. I couldn't believe the improvement. Another pluse is it doesn't seem to clog with lint as much
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#14 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:50 PM

....I have a Wacom tablet and LOVE IT.

Heh, I completely forgot about the Wacom. I have a 4x6 and love(d) it, too. Unfortunately, I've pretty much messed it up. I think I'll start a new thread in external hardware about it.

That little Bamboo looks pretty good and at a great price!

#15 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

Not to be flippant here, but I use both a right hand and left hand mouse. (Not at the same time!)
But I do switch off/over as I feel any strain. I do have two USB's installed, but one can modify the mouse's operation via the control panel to switch out for right or left click operations.

(I should note I'm ambidextrous?)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users