Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Settings And Transfer Wizard ?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

I am a Systems Tech for a small company and we just received a new computer for the Shipping department. There are about 7 users that I need to migrate over to this computer (Personal documents, email, Browser favorites etc...) and I thought it would be efficient to use the Files and Settings transfer wizard to do so.

The old computer is a Windows 2000 and the new computer is XP. I start the process on the new computer and it prompts me to make a Floppy with the Files and Settings transfer wizard for Win 2000, which I do. I do the normal steps that it prompts me for:

I insert the floppy in the old machine and run it

As a test I select just one Word document in a user's My Documents file to see if it transfers and delete everything else

I delete all other file types except the ".doc" type

I start the transfer and enter in the password that is generated on the new machine

After a short time, it is done, however, the file has not transfered.

Am I using this utility correctly? I have been following the tutorials that I have read and I do not see my error. Can I use this utility for migrating multiple users to a new machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users