Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Quick Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goku65

goku65

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

my mother board says my computer can handle

Four memory slots support the following:

* Support non-ECC DDR2-667/800
* Support 1.8V DIMMs
* Support 256 MB, 512 MB and 1 GB DRAM technology
* 8 GB maximum system memory
* Support dual-channel interleave mode
heres a link to my comp. if you need to see minus the power supply and graphics card.
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014739R/1014739Rnv.shtml

I currently have 2 1g sticks of 667 and 2 512 sticks of 667 would i see a significant increase in performance if i got 3 gigs of 800
Also what is these numbers i c can someone clarify like 4-4-4-15
also has anyone tried ready boost if so have you noticed an increase of system performance? kinda skeptical as to how it works ive read some reviews from extreme tech.
My set up is

vista home premium
2.4Quad
1 terrabyte of hd 2x500
bfg 8800gt had to get it got it for a steal 220
3 gigs of probably crappy ram cause its from gateway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

Well lucky you with the 8800GT for $220 :D I just bought a 3870 for $220 last night and if any of you have seen the reviews, the GT beats the 3870 easily. However most GT's are going for $270+ these days so it didn't hurt my feelings that much.

Now to the topics at hand...

Sure you would probably see "somewhat" of an increase if you went with faster RAM but would it really be noticable to spend a good amount of money on? Well I am not sure but I would think not. Although, memory is pretty cheap these days so if you could get another "steal" on the prices, go for it! Those numbers you are referring to are the timings of your memory or the speeds... the first one is probably the most significant which is your CAS latency. 2-3 used to be the standard for RAM but as memory keeps going up in speed, companies had to loosen the timings of their memory to eliminate problems. Try researching memory timings if you want more info :thumbsup:

I have never tried ready boost so no comment there. Hope I have helped somewhat!

Keith

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

If you add more RAM remember that this motherboard has dual channel capability so you need to have even number of modules and the specs need to be the same. You could run the two 1GB module and two 512MB modules to achieve the three GB of RAM. Unless you are using applications that put a strain on your resources you probably won't notice much difference.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:32 AM

someone said i would benefit with 800mhz memory for games i just got crysis any help would be nice on that game.

what about this is this decent http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=346831

Edited by goku65, 16 November 2007 - 10:34 AM.

#5 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

That's actually not a bad price for that speed and type of memory since I just spent $60 on DDR 400 (pc 3200) RAM yesterday for an old desktop that I let my girlfriend's sons use. However, you are upgrading from 1.5 to 2GB and only going from 667 to 800mhz? I don't know if I can say that's worth it :|

#6 goku65

goku65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

i would be replacing 3 gigs of 667mhz ram for some 800mhz ram my score for ram is 5.5 on the vista experience. so i would have 5.9 otherwise with the new ram my score is
processor 5.9
memory 5.5
graphics 5.9
gaming graphics 5.9
disk transfer rate 5.8

i found a store that i can get some corsair mem ddr2 6400 for 64 dollars for 2 gigs do you think it would be worthwhile would games run smoother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users