Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vector Graphics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DAGO7

DAGO7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

I come from a software dev background but getting in to web dev.

And i dont have much experience with graphics. I hear Vector drawing is an important skill.

Any ideas where to start with this ? I mean i have had limited art classes in the past. But im fairly good at sketching.

which software do you recommend me starting on ? Illustrator, Freehand, fireworks ?
and where can i get tutorials ? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hey DAG07!

I'd recommend Illustrator. It's what people in the field are using. I've heard that Illustrator and Freehand are very close, although I've heard Freehand has had it's quirks and bugs. Like extra stuff will be placed in random spots rather than just all together. Also, Freehand has been able to integrate better with Flash, and I think that had a lot to do with the fact that Freehand and Flash were both done by Macromedia.

Now that Adobe bought out Macromedia, the Adobe CS3 should be better integrated with each other. So if you were to buy a CS3 version of Illustrator, it would probably be easier to integrate with Flash. Though when I took a Multimedia class in college, I don't remember having or hearing any problems with Illustrator and Flash.

You can also buy a tablet and actually draw into Illustrator. Usually the Wacom are the best: Wacom Products

For tutorials, I was going to list a bunch, but if you type in Illustrator tutorials into google, you'll get a huge list. I figured I could just let you pick and choose.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

Yup illustrator is a great mainstream package to use, but costs the earth! Try looking and playing around with InkScape more info here. Inkscape is avaialble under the GPL (GNU General Public License).!!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 Learner87

Learner87

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:01 PM

Thnx 4 the post! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users