Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 7.10 Or Pclinuxos 2007?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DAGO7

DAGO7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

OK, I confess I'm bored and want to play with distros again.

I'm considering the latest Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) or PCLinuxOS 2007 - is anyone running either of these at the moment can give me their views - I think Spezi or Flops were using PCLinux at one time - anyone running the latest Ubuntu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

Ubuntu 7.10. I've just upgraded from 7.04. Compiz is all ready added and default, Otherwise, so far all I see is the same. It's good.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Total believer in PCLOS. Have been using for for a long time now.
But if you are going for a new system I would wait (patiently) because the new
PCLOS will be along soon. If you go the 2007 route there are just way too
many upgrades at this point.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

I'm rather partial to PCLinuxOS 2007 my self as well :thumbsup: , have tried Ubuntu and didn't like it . the reason ? I hate Gnome... Love KDE... so thats something to consider as far as which you might want to try, of course there's Kubuntu , plus Kanotix 2007 (w/KDE) is Ubuntu based now too. Are you wanting to run "Live" or install, as PCLOS is not the best as a "Live CD" . I used PCLOS for less than a week before I dumped Linspire for it.(but I was getting ready to dump Linspire anyways)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#5 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

PCLOS seems to have texstars' full attention while Canonical is spreading itself thin with U,K,X, Edu, etc.....

*buntu has the advantage of a large repository and friendly user base and also ready access to marketing and the ears of the OEMs, but this can cut both ways. If they're not careful, they will trip over themselves.

PCLOS has access to the Mandriva repositories and a fairly stable release history (10.2 and 2006 were exceptions)

With all due respect to the folks at Ubuntu, there's a lot of hype associated with it. . I think texstar is more onto what users want/need. Having used Mandriva for several years now (upon which PCLOS is based), I get the feeling of a more stable and mature release with Mandi and therefore PCLOS, however there is no substitute for your personal preference.

Edited by Trio3b, 18 November 2007 - 09:37 PM.

#6 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:50 AM

I'm rather partial to PCLinuxOS 2007 my self as well :thumbsup: , have tried Ubuntu and didn't like it . the reason ? I hate Gnome... Love KDE... so thats something to consider as far as which you might want to try, of course there's Kubuntu , plus Kanotix 2007 (w/KDE) is Ubuntu based now too. Are you wanting to run "Live" or install, as PCLOS is not the best as a "Live CD" . I used PCLOS for less than a week before I dumped Linspire for it.(but I was getting ready to dump Linspire anyways)

Hey man, you could always install KDE on Ubuntu.. then you can choose whether you want to boot up into Gnome or KDE =]

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hey man, you could always install KDE on Ubuntu.. then you can choose whether you want to boot up into Gnome or KDE =]

Yeah, I've considered that , but if I was to install a Debian flavored distro now it would probably be Sidux (maybe Kanotix 2007 which has a ubuntu kernel now and is KDE native), But I'm perfectly happy with PCLinuxOS 2007 at this point in time :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users