Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introductions All Around

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eureka_contractor

eureka_contractor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:33 AM

I am Northern CA General Contractor, network admin (6 or so 'puters depending on how messed up my friends and family have gotten theirs) and a few other things.

I've been computing since 1979 (the only kid in computer lab at high school)

1979: Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80
1982: Commodore 64/1541 Disk Drive
1986-ish: C128/C128D with its >improved< 1571 drive (online! Dial-up local BBS) (processor speed: 4.4 Khz at full throttle/2.2Khz in drive, as I recall)
1988-ish: C1541 A Stack of 1541's around the time I had the 128D (128K!). The RA memory aboard around five or six of those little handwarmers could provide nearly a MB of memory to the 128 when the pile was in the mood, or you could pull one of the legs on the main IC's to make extra drives (9,10,11,etc.)
When the Commodore computer did whatever it did to fall out of favor, I quit 'puting for a while. At least until the first PC's were hand-me-downs... I built some Frankenstein Pieces 'n' Parts 8088 and 8036/80836 x86 monsters and even learned a little hexidecimal programming while I lived in a shack and drove a twenty year old Datsoon PU. I finally decided that Dell and the rest were better equipped to build computers than I.

Now I live in seven acres of connifers (mostly Redwood), have a broadband connection (imagine!), own a contracting/Equipment business with one of my best friends, had my wedding in Scotland in my wifes ancestral castle, I can hear the ocean and see the stars from the hot-tub, and have two or three computers online 24/7.
Holy Crap!

I can remember the TRS-80 like it was yesterday.

Life is such a trip.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hello eureka_contractor and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:04 AM

Hello, eureka_contractor.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

Those were the days! And computing was actually fun.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users