Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where To Find Bios Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

I would very much like to know what a BIOS is suppose to look like and possibly even see some type of tutorial as to the terms form and function of it, does anyone have any information as to where I can find that kind of information ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hi Jove

Check these out.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:02 AM

In the past I have tried some of these, and I don't want to seem ungreatful, because I'm not, but what I am really looking for is what does it look like ?
Are they the same on all computers, because, it seems to me what I'm getting when I use F-10, doesn't seem to be what most are talking about, I just wanted to see what someone elses looks like.

If I could get a screen shot of it, life would be alot easier.

But you have refreshed me, on this subject, and I'll look through your search page.
I'll read into it, and find out, prior to this if I didn't see a diagram I just went to another site and is the reason I was asking.

Thanks much.

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:59 AM

Hi Jove

There are some screenshots here

http://images.google.com/images?q=bios+ima...es&ct=title

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

Each BIOS is different - and different versions from the same manufacturer can also be different. Try this guide that shows quite a lot of info about the different settings in the BIOS: http://www.techarp.com/freebog.aspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

I would like to know if any one is familiar with the following Diagrams of what I suppose is my BIOS.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this time I am needing to get into the BIOS concerning the following instructions;
Upon entering the Setup, highlight the Auto Detect IDE HDD/Hard Drive option ( if displayed) and Press Enter.
This will allow the system to automatically detect the device on your primary and secondary ATA channels. If there is no Auto-Detect option available, choose Standard CMOS.

After Hard drives are detected, save the settings

Exit Setup and power off the system.

Edited by Jove, 06 January 2008 - 05:27 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

A good, all around BIOS guide is located here: http://www.techarp.com/show.aspx?fileID=18
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:26 AM

Thanks Guys,

Let me ask you,
I am reading that the boot order by default is, 1- Diskette Drive (A:)
2.IDE CD-ROM Drive
3. Hard Drive (C:)

If this is so than why after setting to Default is my Bios showing the CD-ROM as the first ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Because that's the default setting. To install XP you have to have the optical drive listed first to boot to the CD. 95-98 didn't have that option, you had to use a floppy boot disk. So you would have the floppy listed as first. Once the OS is installed, if you want, you can have the hard drive as the first device
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users