Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello & need help with laptop choices....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JeremyB

JeremyB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

hi everyone,

I am here in search of some accurate information and for some opinions as well.

I am a college student and am taking summer classes for the first time, problem is, I travel quite a bit in the summer and am taking a few online classes this year. I need to buy a laptop...

My main priority is to have be able to connect wirelessly. I admit my ignorence on the wireless connections but after being in FL a few weeks ago and seeing a guy on the beach on the internet with his laptop, the idea came to me and I decided to go in search of information. Price wise... I am not really limiting that at any point because of the importance that I connect when I need to be able to.

I have heard people talk about free servers that you can connect to at any time as long as you have a wireless card (or something?) However, it was not a trusted source.

I've been to the dell, gateway, HP/compaq websites to customize my own and before I do anything I just wanted to make sure it is as "easy" as it was said to me.

If you would rather privately email me or responses here are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

(note: Moderator moved to appropriate forum where it will receive more attention from the community, and deleted the Email address to avoid spambots. JGW)

Edited by jgweed, 18 February 2005 - 10:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:19 PM

I am not sure of the wireless connection I have never used one. I do however know of a place to look up reviews on almost anything.

This site will help you know your getting the best deal and it will work good. Its free too! I use it often and have used it in buying my laptops and has helped me so much!
http://www.epinions.com

I would go for a HP laptop over any of them. When you do get one if money is no object go for one with a AMD 64 cpu. It would be a great investment into the future when programs go over to the faster 64bit technology.

Hope this helps on the laptop choice.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:14 AM

welcome to bleepingcomputer.com
it's near the end of a long day
and I intend to look again
into your question(s)
Good to see you.
Check back,
Jeremy
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 JeremyB

JeremyB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:44 PM

Thanks to you both for your replies.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:51 PM

you're welcome, Jeremy.
I began the additional checking for information
by typing wi-fi laptop into the google search box.
Well, it seems there are 6,800,000 responses. I think, all things considered, I'll post that for now.

It might turn up some clues that you may or may not have found thus far in your search.

Also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-fi

Edited by phawgg, 19 February 2005 - 08:55 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:11 PM

Security is a big issue with wireless. The best encryption available right now is WPA PSK. You need to make sure the adapter in your laptop is capable of that standard.

Internet access for wireless machines is available in many places including universitys, airports, trains, coffee shops, etc. Some are free and some you pay for by the minute. You will need a wireless router at home for internet use. Make sure it is WPA capable also. The current standard has wireless access up to 300 feet from the access point. If you get a router that allows you to hard wire your laptop as well as use wireless you are more secure with the wired connection at home. Look for a laptop with an ethernet card, a wireless card and a standard modem built in. That way you have all your bases covered. If you want internet access on the beach you may have to go with satelite and that gets expensive.

Look at WPA Wireless Security for Home Networks. You need good encryption so others aren't using your connection to do things in your name. Also see this IBM site, Wireless Security Resource Center. Click on Develop Your Wireless Security Plan for some good ideas.

As for the brand to buy I hear some good things about the Toshiba and the Sony Viao and I've used some IBM laptops that are really nice. Try to avoid Dell, HP and E-machines. (sorry cows).

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users