Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workstation Causing Overheating Issue. How To Resolve?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rich427

Rich427

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

I just had custom cabinets installed in my den with two work stations. One work station is a typical desk and the other is to accommodate my PC. I have my Dell E510 desktop located in a solid maple cabinet and with the door closed there is just not enough air flow to keep the PC cool. After a couple hours this afternoon I opened the cabinet door and the PC fan was running at a speed much higher than normal and the PC case was very warm (not hot). After keeping the door open for two minutes the fan slowed down and the temperature of the PC case had dropped dramatically.

Obviously, I do not have enough air flow inside the cabinet to keep the PC cool with the door closed. I don't want to keep the cabinet door open 24/7 so I was wondering whether I just need to vent the cabinet by putting one or more vents in the side or back of the cabinet (the back of the cabinet is located against a common wall between my den and a closet), or should I be looking at some sort of fan to help move the air. If the fan is the way to go, is there a fan out there that is thermostat controlled and small enough to mount either to the side or back of the cabinet.

Any help would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks
Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:41 AM

I would place two vents in the cabinet, one in which to draw air and one to exhaust air with a fan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:20 AM

take a standard 120mm case fan, mount it inside the cabinet at the top back exhausting hot air but connect the power to the computer so when the computer is on, it's running

have an inlet somewhere low and close to the front, make sure the inlet is larger than the outlet
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Rich427

Rich427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

take a standard 120mm case fan, mount it inside the cabinet at the top back exhausting hot air but connect the power to the computer so when the computer is on, it's running

have an inlet somewhere low and close to the front, make sure the inlet is larger than the outlet

Hey Chewy,

Thanks for the response. The front inlet that you mentioned, since the entire front of the cabinet is a full length raised panel door, I can't put anything there. But I can put a vent on the right side of the cabinet and near the front. Do you think that would be adequate?

Also, on the case fan, how would I connect that to the computer so that it is powered when the computer is on and still have the ability to easily get the PC out of the cabinet if I need to service something?

Rich

#5 Rich427

Rich427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

I would place two vents in the cabinet, one in which to draw air and one to exhaust air with a fan.

Hey DC,

Thanks for the response. Looks like you and Chewy are on the same page.

Rich

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

There should be a two or three pin connector for another case fan on the motherboard. If you look at the connector that the CPU fan is plugged into you can see what the connector looks like. The fan that you purchase should have the plug already connected but you will have to splice enough wire on to reach the location in the cabinet. You will need to make sure that you don't change the wire configuration when you splice the extra wires.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

If the wiring is too hard to do just try cutting the holes and see how natural convection venting works

A friend/client with his high dollar computer desk in a similar situation, leaves the door open when he has the computer on,
there are large openings in the back for cables etc
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

Off the wall
make a USB case fan
These probably pull too many amps. but maybe a heatsink fan would do
http://www.arcade-electronics.com
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 16 November 2007 - 01:18 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Rich427

Rich427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

I just found this USB fan anybody think this might work? Any potential downside?

http://www.buyextras.com/evc120x120x2.html

thanks
Rich

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:50 PM

I just found this USB fan anybody think this might work? Any potential downside?

thanks
Rich

I wish it would list the power consumption. Do you have any other powered USB devices, such as an external drive? If you go that route just remember to check the connection for excess heat for a while
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Rich427

Rich427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

thanks
Rich

I wish it would list the power consumption. Do you have any other powered USB devices, such as an external drive? If you go that route just remember to check the connection for excess heat for a while
Mark

No, I have a pretty basic desktop. It's a Dell Dimension E510. I don't do anything elaborate with it other than some basic Office, and internet stuff. So, the only USB connections are typical peripherials. No external drives, no elaborate gaming, or anything like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users