Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge Problem After Upgrading Bios

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 grendelvamp

grendelvamp

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hi there guys, I was advised by a technician from my GPU manufacturer that i should flash my BIOS and upgrade. Well, somehow I managed to do so without backing up my previous BIOS. It wasn't a problem initially. I gamed all day afterwards and there was no problem. I put the system on hibernate overnight then today when I turned it on 3 minutes in, I lost the signal to my monitors. This had happened before and was the reason that I called the GPU Tech to begin with. He said to upgrade my BIOS and check the PSU. Turns out my power supply was 10 amps too low. I assumed that this was the reason for loosing signal to my monitor today. I installed it and I still have no signal, blank screen. I removed the GPU and tried another only to have the same result. I'm not sure whats going on and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry for the double post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

I imagine that there's a good chance that I'll need to replace my motherboard. If this is so, does anyone have any suggestions?

#3 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:02 PM

Is there any known way to create a disk containing BIOS files and use it to boot another computer? I think I made a mistake upgrading BIOS, now my monitors are blank although all the fans in my case are working. There are no beeps. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks for your help

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

The fact that your system operated for a time after the BIOS update indicates that the update was functional. If your PSU was found to definitely be faulty, and replaced, it's probably this event rather than aything to do with the BIOS update that is causing your troubles.

Is the replacement PSU known to be working correctly, all connectors fully seated to correct locations (none overlooked), and have you checked to see that nothing else was dislodged during the PSU fit (eg a memory DIMM moved)?

Try clearing the CMOS memory (with the system unpowered, either by moving a CLR_CMOS or similar jumper on the motherboard, or by removing the backup battery for some time). Sometimes due to a static zap when a system is worked on, the CMOS memory can contain an invalid state and set an unbootable condition. (This is likely to give your symptom, fans operate but nothing else happens.)

There's also a possibility the original faulty PSU may have damaged something, in which case it's a process of elimination to find what. If nothing else corrects the fault condition and the new PSU is proven to operate correctly in another system, the usual approach is to disconnect all peripherals from the motherboard (cards, drives, memory but leave any external beeper/speaker so you will hear any POST beeps) and start the system. You should get insistent beeping due to the absent memory. If not, either the CPU or motherboard is not operating correctly (or both...). If you get beeping, things can be added one by one beginning with memory then the video card etc until you find what stops the system from powering up.

Always remember to ground yourself by touching the metal case whilst working, and have the system fully powered down and turned off at the mains (not just soft-off) when changing any components.

Edited by Platypus, 15 November 2007 - 11:57 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:55 AM

sounds like the power saving functions in BIOS were not set up properly.

#6 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:46 PM

The original power supply wasn't faulty, it was just too low a supply to power my Nvidia 88oo gt oc. The computer was on and running fine when the monitors went out. This had happened before, i assumed due to the low power issue, but this time they didn't turn back on after restart. When I get home I will unplug all peripherals and check everything, I am at work now. Thank you for your help. I will post again when I check.

#7 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

Okay, after removing all of the peripherals and starting up, the machine will not post. There are no beeps at all. Looks like I'm in the market for a new mobo/cpu. I did some browsing online last night for atx micro motherboards, can anyone suggest a brand? Sorry if that's not allowed in this forum. I am an avid pc gamer and I was using a PCCHIPS A33G Socket AM2 mobo with a Athlon X2 3800+ 2.0 Ghz. That is what just flatlined.

I've purchased a lot of upgrades within the past year, but this will be my most crucial. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

Some choices here: I personally don't like PCchips but that's just me
http://www.newegg.com

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

You did try clearing the CMOS in case it's corrupted didn't you?

Keep in mind if you replace the motherboard you'll likely need to do at least a repair install of the OS, and normally it would trigger a re-activation for Windows.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:05 PM

I tried clearing CMOS using the jumper. No dice. Yea, I figured I'd have to do a repair install of Vista. I don't expect that to be much of an issue, so long as I don't lose any data on my hard drive. I ordered a new mobo/cpu today from TigerDirect. Should be here Monday. What did you mean re-activation for Windows? Not sure I follow you, should I be concerned?

#11 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:29 PM

you may as well wait till the new motherboard gets there, it will save you a lot of headaches having to re-activate vista twice.

#12 grendelvamp

grendelvamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:35 PM

This is my first time having to replace a motherboard. What sort of headache should I be expecting with this "re-activation" of vista. Is this a difficult thing? Should I be concerned with the lose of any data? Please elaborate.

As far as my PM, I went with a ASUS motherboard and an AMD X2 5600+.

#13 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:20 AM

I would wait to reinstall vista till you get the new board.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

Reactivation of Windows is a PITA - but it's actually not very difficult. If you can't activate over the internet, you call a number, answer a few questions, and read a series of numbers off to the machine. It checks what you've read and either issues a reactivation code (which you type in) or it sends you to a human. The human will repeat this and will generate a new reactivation code that you'll type in.

I do this routinely at work (probably 2 or 3 times a week) and haven't had an issue yet.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users