Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Gm5632e With A 8800gt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MrKillme

MrKillme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

Anybody know if the Gateway GM5632E powersupply (400W I believe) is enough to support a 8800GT card? Anybody running it today who can comment?

Best Regards

MrK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

no. a minimum of 550 watts is recommended.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:25 AM

A 425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more*

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-produc...E00051499010060

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

that's a video card, and I do not think they want to burn out the card and the rest of the PC.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

Nvidia rates the power consumption of the 8800 GT at 110W, which makes the single-slot cooler feasible and also means the 8800 GT needs just one auxiliary PCIe power connector, of the six-pin variety, in order to do its thing.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479/2
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

chewy, how you got onto coolers when they need a better PSU, I do not know. I stand by my recommendation of a 550Watt PSU.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

With PSU's (as long as it'll fit in your case) - some is good but more is better (within reason). It gives you a smoother power flow and doesn't heat up as much as an overtaxed unit will.

With PSU's it's not a good idea to skimp on quality - I'd suggest a good PSU that you figure will last you several years (so add in some extra watts just to be sure). I like the PC Power and Cooling PSU's - they're expensive, but I haven't had one fail on me yet!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

chewy, how you got onto coolers when they need a better PSU, I do not know. I stand by my recommendation of a 550Watt PSU.

I was just clarifying the actual power requirements of the new GT cards, the fact that they take smaller coolers is related to their power requirements and heat output, if you read the article and understand the basic concepts, that becomes obvious

It's all about balance in the force

I was also posting for dc3's information since he refered to the GTS older model which is a power hog

as usamsa points out tho, a beefier unit will perform better(PSU) and definitely last longer

the original power supply might work but will probably fail sooner or later

Edited by DaChew, 17 November 2007 - 12:40 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Pallador

Pallador

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hi guys. Sorry but a late post. Just registered tonight because of this post. Looks like a nice set of forums. I'm gonna look around after this post :thumbsup:

I have a gateway gm5632e as the OP does. I have recently taken out the tv tuner card and old pos 8500 card and replaced with an evga 8800gt (not the akimbo or anything fancy) and can safely say for the past 4 months this pc has been working flawlessly on the stock PS.

My next plans are for a new mobo, memory, and better cooling so I can try overclock it. I am also hoping for sli in the future if need be, but running on a 22 inch monitor in 1680 * 1050 resolution I am getting about 40+ fps in aoc, CoD4 ran flawlessly with graphics cranked up as well.

When I do my other upgrades of course I will be adding a bigger ps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users