Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension Mb Boot Order - Can't Configure

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

This has been baffling me for a while, so I put it away. But I need to resolve this or get rid of it.

I have a DELL Dimension 8200 case that I installed a Dimension XPS motherboard into. Pentium 4 1.6 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. BIOS version A01.

I have a SATA HD hooked up but every time I boot I get the same error. It hangs and fails to boot from the SATA drive. The only way to boot is to hit F12 at startup in order to get the Boot Menu and then select the SATA drive. At the Boot Menu I am given a number of choices, 1. Normal, 2. SATA Primary Drive, 3. Diskette Drive, 4. Hard Disk Drive C:, 5, Integrated NIC, 6. IDE CD-ROM device. Then a space and 7. System Setup, 8. IDE Driva eDiagnostics and finally 9. Boot to Utility Partition.

When I go into BIOS, by hitting F2, I can see the selection of Boot Order and it has a <ENTER> on the right-hand side but when I select it and hit <ENTER> I get nothing but a BEEP. (you know that beep of denial?)

Can anyone tell me how I might be able to configure the boot order, so I can run this thing normally? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

BTW, I have also tried flashing the BIOS to A03 and it says it is doing it but on reboot it always says A01 again.

#3 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:59 AM

I think on those boards you have to move a jumper to flash the BIOS, I'd check Dells website to see what jumper it is.

you may want to download any manuals for that board and verify that the front panel pins match up with how they are in the XPS case.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,591 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:19 AM

I don't know what BIOS you have, but when you navigate down to the specific drive you should use the + or - key to bring up the proper setting that you want, like auto, enable... and then save your changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:38 AM

On this particular board, I have found a jumper they call the "Password Jumper". If you move the jumper and reboot, all passwords are reset.

But I haven't sen any other jumpers on the board. :thumbsup: Never seen anything so frustrating.

As far as hitting + or - to move a drive, that is true. But I cannot get into the Boot Order menu. As I said above, I hit the <ENTER> key and all I get is that beep of denial.

I'm inclined to think there must be something up with this board.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

DR

#6 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:05 PM

Like I said, you need to find out if the front panel connectors are identical in the XPS to the 8200 Case.

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

I can always unplug the front panel connector and start the system by shorting the pins. I'll also see if there is something on the board that points to what wires do what.

DR

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

Remove the CMOS battery, resetting the BIOS settings...and see if you can adjust the CMOS then.

Louis

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

Yes, thanks. I did do that also. Still no response.

There must be something screwed up in the BIOS but I am at a loss as to how to resolve it. Maybe replace the BIOS chip?

DR

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

for the Dell boards, it's expensive to get the bios replaced, since they do not share the coding for thier bios, you'll have to contact dell, and it'd be cheaper to Ebay a 8200 board.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

when you removed the cmos battery did you pull the power cable from the back? I also pull the cable from the PSU to the motherboard, you have to wait up to a minute or longer for the caps to drain

Edited by DaChew, 17 November 2007 - 10:13 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:37 AM

Actually I had the battery out for a full day during which time I used the power cord for another computer. :flowers:

I have ordered a "real" 8200 MB instead of this XPS MB. I am hoping that will resolve this. If it doesn't, I will can the whole thing and salvage what I can. :thumbsup:

Another interesting thing is the Service Tag I get when I have Dell search for it. It is a series of 4 lower case y's, each with an umlaut (sp?) above it (2 tiny dots). Not having a lot of Dell experience (we're an HP partner) I don't know whether I can insert the Service Tag that is on the case into the spot in the BIOS that lists the service tag. Anyone know if that is possible?

DR

#13 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:56 AM

I wouldn't mind knowing what is up with it anyways. I ordered the other true 8200 but the info I have on this one points to it being a simple XPS, which they did have, in the beginning. I intend to give this one away.

There is a small white sticker that says DELL Rev.A00

Another sticker says AA C37257-606

and another DS/N CH-0F2905-48112-396-011V : C/0 CH

Thanks for any info.

DR

#14 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

did some checking, nothing comes up with any part of the serial number or the others, still checking. I'm glad you're getting the right board for that case. Dell is so secretive about how the front panel pinouts go and how their bios are set up.

#15 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:15 AM

Another interesting thing is that when it does start to boot, it goes looking for a PXE boot. It never finds one but the activity is there. Possibly, there is something somewhere that disables Boot Order when using PXE? :thumbsup:

Once I get the other one, I will send you this one and a couple of Intel P3 boards with CPUs. At that point, my interest about this motherboard may expire. :flowers:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users