Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help:-"ntdlr Missing, Disk Boot Failure"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alantrini

Alantrini

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

My computer was slowing down so I ran Adawre and it picked up 25 high risk Malware, whilst cleaning it it told me I have to reboot in order to complete the process of removing the malware. When I rebooted this message came up in the DOS screen
"NTLDR is missing,press any key
then when I hit enter this 2nd message came up
Disk Boot failure, insert System Disk + Press Enter
WHen I put in my Win XP Pro, and reached Recovery and selcted option 1 and then the screen just went into the DOS prompt, I then typed "FIXMBR" and in less than second
it said New boot sector was successfully written,
But when I rebooted I keep getting NTDRL is missing press any key, then DISK BOOT FAILURE, insert SYSTEM DISK, I went Iput back the XP CD and it go to the Recovery section it just goes back on the C: prompt, when I type DIr, it says the volume has no label Serial 000-0000
Directory of C:\
No Matching files found
When I try to change the dir to C:\iwindows or any other directory I had it says the system cannot the sprecified file ot directory specified.
I then remove the drive and hooked it directly to the mothrboard of another PC and when that PC booted from its original drive it recognised my drive as E:\ clicked on it in FIle Propertys it said Used space 0 Bytes free space 10Mb
I then ran a program called ****** DAta Recovery Wizard and it recognised the drive as as stated it was (FAT12), it checked the correct size and was able to show the contents of the Drive and I was able to transfer aot of Data to the other PC C:\drive to save.
But still whe I put my drive back into my own PC, it keeps giving that NTDRL missing and when I reach as far as the Windows recovery it just goes back to the C: prompt (even when I selct 1.
I have alot of inportant programs and stuff on this drive and would prefer not to format it or erase everything.
Please tell me how I can get Windows to start back up again.
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

See if anything here helps:
NTLDR is Missing
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Alantrini

Alantrini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

See if anything here helps:
NTLDR is Missing

Thanksi readthis part which applys to me

Windows XP users

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

As up to No.4 Listed abovwhen I chooese this option it just goes back to the C:\ DOS prompt, I dont reach any further
I dont know what else to do.
I really dont want to format the drive and loose all data (and Programs), The Data Recovery Wizard I showed up all the files stored there and is able to transfer them successfuly, the only file that is Damaged is a files called bootex.log,

Someone Please help me get back into my computer I need it urgently, Im sure my neighbor is silently getting tired of me coming over to his house to use his PC. I need my PC for my Business and it is really depressing me that I cant find a solution to this problem :thumbsup: :flowers:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:31 AM

Once you get to the DOS prompt type the two commands:

Then remove the CD and reboot (this assumes the e: is your CD drive, if not use the appropriate drive letter).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Alantrini

Alantrini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:26 AM

Once you get to the DOS prompt type the two commands:

Then remove the CD and reboot (this assumes the e: is your CD drive, if not use the appropriate drive letter).

I Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
I chose option: Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.

Prompt.....C:\ appears
I Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "D". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Then I get this message
Thevolume does not contain a recognised fil system. Please mak sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and thatthe Volume is not corrupted
0 Files copied

Then I type Chkdsk C:\
and I get this message
The type of File system is RAW
Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives

Prior to this I did fun fixmbr and fixboot and that is when all the trouble started
Bill Gates should be hung upsided down from the Empire State Bldg by his toes for producing a command and a vulnerable OS like windows
I hate Windows if its NOT one PROBLEM its ALOT :thumbsup:

#6 Alantrini

Alantrini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

12 HrsWAITING .............and nO RESPONSE?..........What Kind of website is this,
I cant afford the Geek Squad
Is there anyone out there who can HELP A 62 year old fustrated man ,who is ready to Exoire with his PC.?

Edited by Alantrini, 16 November 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#7 cnerd

cnerd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

Alright, do everything you did again to get to the DOS prompt. Once there you need to switch directories from the C drive to whatever drive the xp disc is in. This is done my simply using the command Cd which equals change directory, then follow the Cd with the drive letter, so an example command would be " Cd d" this will change the directory to the D drive. Now, once you're in the right directory then use the "copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\" Please make notice that you are using the correct drive letter to which the disk is in.

Also, FIXMBR or FIXBOOT does not replace the missing files it corrects corrupted or altered boot records, but doesnt replace missing files.

Seeing the you're running on the FAT files system perhaps you should try to convert the file system to NTFS. This is done by running the "Convert" dos command. It's simply done by typing "convert d: /fs:ntfs" please note the "d" is just an example and you should use the drive letter that correspondes to the drive you want to convert more than likely it will be the "C" drive. after this trying running the "copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\"command again.

Please note the ladder of the choices is optional

Edited by cnerd, 16 November 2007 - 09:05 PM.

#8 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:22 AM

If your system has a floppy drive go to bootdisk.com and download the proper disk (XP) for your system.
Works well for me, and keeps others out of the Linux OS and Windows Recovery Console. I also
modified the boot.ini on the floppy to match that of the boot.ini on the hard drive, minus Linux, WRC.
As your system won't boot you shouldn't need to get into the BIOS to set it to boot from floppy drive first.
Once your in replace the nt bootloader, use system restore, a backup. The boot disk has the Windows "hidden" files boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM, and the ntldr on it as I recall.

Bug

Edited by Bugballou, 17 November 2007 - 12:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users