Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drives Not Reading/burning Dvd's

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

Okay I uninstalled the drive, and restarted, but still no luck.

I notice that I don't have any lower filters on the dvd-rom drive, I don't know if that means anything or not...

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:29 PM

I saw that, yet the software chewy said you do. so when you rebooted XP found new hardware and reinstalled the drive, correct?

#18 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:40 PM

Yes, it didn't say found new hardware or anything, but when I checked the device manager, it was back there, so I assume it re-installed.

#19 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

okay what happens when you try using CD Burner XP?

#20 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

If I click burm cd, i get a message saying no recordable media inserted, and i can either retrye, or cancel...it doesn't read that a disc in in the tray

#21 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

Anybody have any other ideas?

#22 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

I have a feeling it's a defective drive, is it under warranty?

#23 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

I'm thinking it is, it's under a year old, and I bought an extended warranty on the computer.

I just didn't want to give it back in, because I have some downlaoded games...do you knw if they would care at all about that?

#24 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

you should be able to just get them to send you a replacement drive. who built the system?

#25 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:26 PM

Do you have access to another computer that you could try the drives in individually?

Are these two drives sharing a IDE cable, and are they connected with the proper master and slave jumper configuration?

Have you tried using a different IDE cable?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#26 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

I have to agree with dc3, you might even test each drive connected as master at the end of the cable with the other drive disconnected

I have seen people rma 2 new dvd burners from newegg and the third one had the same problem

Edited by DaChew, 24 November 2007 - 01:20 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#27 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

If the computer is under warranty make sure opening the case is not voiding it. Some manufactures put a sticker over the seam between the case and the side panel. It shouldn't since your allowed to add upgrades to the computer, some manufactures are picky though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#28 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

Okay, so to DC3, no, I can't test them on another computer. And can you explain how to check what you were telling me about with the IDE cables?

and sneaky, there was no sticker, so I can open it without voiding any warranties.

#29 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

This tutorial is for hard drives but basically is the same thing as far as connecting the master and slave position and the proper jumper settings, about the only difference is the location of the jumpers on the rear of the drives. When you see this tutorial it will show you what a IDE cable is and the proper locations on the cable to attach the master and slave drives. You should also double check you connections and make sure that the connectors are firmly seated. If you still have problems after this you might want to try another IDE cable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#30 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:25 AM

If both DVD drives are giving you problems then you might want to delete the IDE driver, reboot and let the OS reinstall it on reboot. Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button. Click the plus sign to the left of the entry IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click on the entry Secondary IDE channel and select Uninstall. Close out of all the windows. Reboot and try playing a DVD to see if there was a change.

Edited by Budapest, 26 November 2007 - 01:26 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users