Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jim4413

jim4413

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

When I went to my PC, having left it being scanned by AVG Anti Spyware, I was confronted with the following page.

We apologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset burtton was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to the move highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts : 30 (counts down)

I highlighted 'Start Windows Normally' and after a short while the Tiny logo appeared but returned to the above page. I put the computer off but when I put it on again, this page reappeared. I've tried every option but no matter what I do it loops back to this page. Any advice please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

<<I've tried every option but...>>

And what might be the specifics, please? Are you just talking about the options listed on that one screen?

I've received this message before, but cannot remember what I did to overcome it. Probably just ran chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, but I cannot be sure. I don't think that I did anything drastic such as a repair install or clean install, but the old memory isn't very good at remembering these things :thumbsup:.

I would try chkdsk /r first...then a repair install if chkdsk does not cut it. I might also try the fixboot command before I did the repair install.

Of course...check all your connections before doing anything.

Louis

#3 jim4413

jim4413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

<<I've tried every option but...>>

And what might be the specifics, please? Are you just talking about the options listed on that one screen?

I've received this message before, but cannot remember what I did to overcome it. Probably just ran chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, but I cannot be sure. I don't think that I did anything drastic such as a repair install or clean install, but the old memory isn't very good at remembering these things :thumbsup:.

I would try chkdsk /r first...then a repair install if chkdsk does not cut it. I might also try the fixboot command before I did the repair install.

Of course...check all your connections before doing anything.

Louis

How do I get chkdsk? The only disk I have is System Driver/Software Library and Factory Reset.........this does not offer a Recovery Console.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users