Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear Router Recognise Other Pc Using My Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cocoloco

cocoloco

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

I have a wired Netgear DSL Modem Internet Getaway DG814 through which I connect to a home network and the internet.

I set up a static IP address on my pc and assigned the route to my machine on the getaway. Everything has worked ok for a while. Recently I realised of a lower connection quality but just laid the blame on Talktalk, which is my internet provider. Two weeks ago I attached to the router a wireless port (not another router) for other computers to connect to the net.

I got problems thereafter. Windows reports problems of another machine in the network using my same IP address. So the wireless port was also given a (different) static IP address. Nothing really changed.

All machines connect to the internet but I keep on getting the IP address problem. This only happens when the wireless port is being used (not only on but actually used).

After checking the configuration of my router I realised of an attached device on the IP address that should be mine with a device name and a MAC address that don't match mine. And the router reports this independently of the wireless port being on or off.

So I get the IP address errors only if the wireless is being used but the router recognised another computer (which is none of the ones at home) regardless of the wireless port being on, and my pc doesn't apppear as attached device at all, even though I can connect to the internet, with not a great connection, but I can.

I wonder if my IP address may have been take over somehow.

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope this make sense.

cocoloco.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users