Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Secury Center Question (SP2)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chingy

Chingy

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:58 PM

Recently, on startup my Securiy Center would not come up. As in in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. I looked on google for the startup command for it, but really couldnt find anything.

I believe it is still running, my Firewall, updates and Anti-Virus, but what I'm asking is how do get it like before in the bottom right hand of my screen, so I know its running? What is the startup command so I can enable it?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I can't spell Security. Bare with me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chingy, 18 February 2005 - 06:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:36 PM

Open the Security Center by typing WSCUI.CPL in the Start, RUN box. Or, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Security Center.

More info here. Also lots of XP tips and tricks here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Chingy

Chingy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

I know how to get to it, but your not answering my question. I want to have it running at all times in the right hand corner. I dont think it is now. What is the msconfig-->startup command for it? So I can enable it so it comes up on startup, thanks.

xD

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:57 PM

Q: When will I interact with, or see, Windows Security Center?

A: When all three Windows Security Center components, Firewall, Automatic Updates, and Virus Protection, are in a secure and up–to-date state, no alerts appear. This condition is known as the "green" state. If any one of the three components are in a non-secure or undetectable state, a red icon that is shaped like a shield appears in the icon tray and a balloon message states that "Your computer might be at risk." This condition is known as the "red" state. If you are using an antivirus or firewall program that you monitor yourself, the computer is in a "yellow" state.

Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Chingy

Chingy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:15 PM

Ahhh thank you, so your saying I wont see that little sheild on my screen, becuase everything is all good eh?

#6 Ch3St3R

Ch3St3R

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:49 PM

Ive got win2k and this windows security center warning msg keeps popping up. every site ive seen on it only talks about win xp having it. well after i recently ran some microsoft updates im getting this error.. i even went and fixed the spyware issues it seems to be talking about. now i just want this to stop popping up. thing is its not in my services and i cant seem to find anywhere that talks about. the process that turns ont he msg is csrss.exe witch i know is a windows process needed to be on. so how can i make this stupid error stop popping up. i just want to turn this "windows security center" off any help?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:31 AM

Hi Ch3St3R

Its always best to start a New Topic when you have a different problem so that other people with your same problem will be able to see it. But we can discuss this here anyway.

If this security warning that you are talking about mentions spyware then it looks like you may have the Microsoft Windows Anti-Spyware installed. Look at this page to see if that looks like what you are seeing.

Look for it in the Programs menu. There will be an icon in the bottom right corner near the time. Right click on that to bring it up.

If Real-Time Protection detects a change in any checkpoint, Windows AntiSpyware alerts you and provides the option for you to allow or block the change. In some cases—for example, when you are installing software—you can choose to allow the change in order to continue the installation process.

To configure Real-Time Protection, click Settings on the Options menu. On the left menu, click Real-Time Protection to view options for activating or deactivating Real-Time Protection. Click Alerts to view options for the type of alerts that Real-Time Protection provides.

If that works please post back and let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users