Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Superantispyare Trouble

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:49 PM

Howdy,

I have gotten myself into a big bind. I can not boot out of safe mode and I can not connect to the Internet.

Here is what happened.

I have been using SuperAntiSpyware for the last 6 months or so with no problems.

I run a scan several times a week in both safe mode and normal mode.

Two days ago I decided to run it and I decided to use the "safe boot feature" the program offers. I clicked on safe boot and it installed the feature. The computer then closed windows and booted into safe mode.

I ran a scan and it came up with one tracking cookie. I got the window that said I need to re-boot to get rid of the cookie. So I re-booted.

The computer went back to safe mode instead of normal mode. I tried again with the same results.

I then shut the computer down and re-booted and it booted back to safe mode instead of normal mode.

I then started the computer using the F8 method to get into safe mode. I highlighted for the computer to boot Windows in normal mode but it booted back into safe mode.

I tried last good configuration, safe mode with networking, I tried them all with no success.

No matter what I do I end up in safe made with no Internet connection.

I then tried system restore.

I followed the wizard but it stalls. It will not perform system restore.

I tried 10 different dates. When it gets to the last window where it says that system restore will collect information, shut down windows and open up with the date picked, nothing happens. It just sits there.

I tried to uninstall SuperAntiSpyware but I get this window when I try.

"The window installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed.

Contact your support personnel for assistance."

(That is you folks :flowers:

I am using a computer at a friends office. I will check back for any replies.

ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

Best advice I can give you: http://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtop...7c54ee0ce936376

Louis

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the reply hamluis.

A friend dropped by and used the info from the site you provided to fix things . Apparently "boot safe" it has caused many people problems.

I am able to access the Internet now however I get the Internet Explorer cannot display this web page screen after I refresh the page a couple of times or after I post a reply.

I have to reboot in order to stay online.

I have know idea what this is all about.

Thanks Again,

Edited by Dennis H, 15 November 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

I am able to access the Internet now however I get the cannot display this page screen after I refresh the page a couple of times or after I post a reply.
I have to reboot in order to stay online.

Is that just for this website? Try clearing you cookies, history, and temp. files
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

No, it is happening on every site I go to.

I tried posting this answer to your question right after you asked and It hung up and cut me off. I had to re-boot and come back on here to post this.

Dennis

Edie: I just used ATF-Cleaner to clear out temp. files, Etc;

Edited by Dennis H, 15 November 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

I am still being dropped from the Internet.

I can read a few posts but then if I try to refresh the page or switch forums my connection is lost.

Any ideas ??

Dennis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

What type of connection? Dial-up, DSL, or Cable? Is a router in the mix? If you're using a modem, is it connected with a USB cable or CAT5 cable? The first thing is to call your provider and have them do some checking
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

After you select the Safe Mode option and scan your computer, you must run BootSafe again and select the option to boot into Normal mode or your computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode. That means you have to go to C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware and choose the BootSafe program from there.

BootSafe works similar to MSConfig in that the Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file. Most of the reports relating to this problem are due to users not familiar with using the program. The new version of BootSafe to be included in SUPERAntispyware 4.0 will automatically undo the safe mode option once you boot to safe mode so that when you reboot again, you are back to normal mode.

Keep in mind that some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot into safe mode or back to normal mode. If you use the /Safeboot option on the Boot.ini Tab in MSConfig to force safe mode, it could have disastrous results. You may be locked in a continuous reboot loop afterwards where you cannot get back to MSConfig and undo your selection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I just got my computer back after having a friend work on it.

quiteman7,

I tried to force things and not knowing what I was doing I did end up with disastrous results.

I screwed my registry up BADLY.

I ended up having a new hard drive installed, a another gig of memory installed and a new install of Windows XP.

My computer is like brand new now.

I wish that SuperAntiSpyware would have had some information regarding boot safes potential problems.

Thanks again to all who replied.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

Your welcome.

Sorry to hear about having to get a new hard drive but at least you pratically have a brand new computer now.

I agree and so do many others that they should have included more information and a warning about the BootSafe feature. The vendor is fully aware and thats why it has been reported that the new version of BootSafe to be included in SUPERAntispyware 4.0 will automatically undo the safe mode option once you boot to safe mode so that when you reboot again, you are back to normal mode.

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:28 AM

thank you for a very interesting and informative thread ; I too use superantispyware ;may I ask which version OF the program was used ?

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

The current version is 3.9.1008 and was released on 06/25/07. That's probably what was used if the OP had updated a previous version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users