Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dorgi3

dorgi3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi All
This is my first post on this site, so I am hoping that someone will be able to assist me with this. I posted the same question on another site as well, but of not much luck. Apparently they don't have the time to answer. I am hoping this is not the case in here.

The problem is that my computer is hogging all the ram. When I started the computer right now, the amount of memory free was only 80MB out of 760MB that i have. I'm on xp pro on a 1.73Mhz pentium processor. Don't have any start up programmes except the firewall and anti virus. Surely all the memory can't be consumed by these 2. Any ideas what's causing this?
I've scanned my system using different spyware/adware progs but found no malware on the system?
Any ideas as to if this is a virus issue or a hardware issue.
Thanks
D
P.S.: Just had a new hard disk and a motherboard installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

Where are you getting this memory allocation figure from? What programs are open when you do it?

Louis

#3 dorgi3

dorgi3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:59 PM

Sorry about the double post.... please delete the earlier one.
Hi Louis
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have tune-up installed, which gives me the figure. While calculating the memory, the only applications that were running were
1. Kaspersky
2. Zone Alarm
3. Msn Messenger (a file avp.exe consumes around 500k of mem)
4. Bleepingcomputer.com

Other than this i have also disabled the graphic features of win but yet, all mem just goes off.

FYI - while scanning from kasersky (rootkit scan) it gives an error sayin, SbRecovery.ini is password protected.

Well? Any ideas as to what's happening.
Thanks
D
P.S.: I've done the defrag and everything else

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

Try using Task Manager to see where your memory and CPU loads are (at any given point).

I am unfamiliar with the software you mentioned.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users