Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookies In The Localservice Folder

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:09 AM

There's a hidden system folder (XP SP2) called the LocalService folder under Documents and Settings. It contains a cookies folder, which in turn contains (sometimes) a few cookies, and an index.dat file. Can anyone answer these questions for me, please?

1. Why would a website plant a cookie in this system folder instead of the usual temporary internet files folder?
2. Ccleaner doesn't, by default, clear out these particular cookies, but I could set it up to do a custom clean of the LocalService cookie folder. That, presumably, would also delete the index.dat file. Is it safe to do that? Would Windows automatically recreate this index.dat file if it were deleted? (What bothers me here is that the LocalService folder is well-hidden for a reason, and I don't want to start deleting stuff in there without knowing what the consequences might be.)

Edited by Alan D, 15 November 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users