Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Join A Member Server To Domain

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 M-in

M-in

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

Dear Colleagues,

I'm trying to join a Windows Server 2003 SP2 R2 computer as a MEMBER SERVER to an existing Windows Server 2003 SP2 domain.
But unfortunately I was not able to do that due to error that permanently occurred: "The specified network path is no longer available".
1. Could you guide me or share the link where all the issues have been discussed, please?
2. If anyone is aware of a such error, could you tell me the solution, please?
3. Is it necessary to extend schema to be able to join the domain R2 servers as a member server?

Thank you all in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Hi, this is a bit over my head but found this article....http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/support/articles/win2k3sbnetwork.mspx
Sorry I cant be much more help.

Edited by Monty007, 15 November 2007 - 04:11 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 M-in

M-in
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

Thank you very much I'll take a look. I guess the article is for SBS. Anyway, thank you for your diligence

#4 M-in

M-in
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:07 AM

Now, I can't even ping computers by name from non-domain computer. Anybody?

#5 M-in

M-in
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

One thing I did in the morning, I have 4 virtual servers with Server 2003 R2 installed on the same member server, I tried to join the domain one of them and it joined. Then I tried to join the member server, but it didn't. Another issue that I noticed today was when I uncheck VMWare Bridge Protocol on the member server's LAN, It seemed LAN was disabled. I could not ping him.
Does anybody know what it is?

Edited by M-in, 16 November 2007 - 10:23 AM.

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

I had a similar problem this week. The windows firewall on the main domain controller decided to come back to life, for no apparent reason. This blocked all ICMP traffic (ping, tracert) and access to DNS. Check your firewalls, and either disable them (assuming there's a decent firewall between that server and the 'net), or make sure that there are exceptions for DNS and other services.

That might resolve your issues re: joining the server to the domain as well.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#7 Alfatech

Alfatech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

Hi all,

I had the same thing last week, and for me it ended up being the regional settings. Make sure they are the same. So have a good look at the time settings…

If everything looks the same, change the ‘time zone’ click OK then change it back to what it was and click OK and reboot. And try again. :thumbsup:

#8 M-in

M-in
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

The problem is solved. The Windows Firelwall was working incorrectly or something. I just turned it on in the services snap-in and off again. That's all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users