Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notepad Blues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geotan

geotan

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:56 AM

I transferred three letters that I send out regular from one computer to another and put them all in one File in Notepad. I have tried to copy and paste the letters one at a time to put them into seperate files. I can copy ok but when I come to paste it is greyed out.
Yes I could rewrite the letters but they cover seven A4 pages.
Any suggestions on how to solve the problem?
I am using Vista Home Basic.
GEORGE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

Where are you trying to paste the copies to make new files? If another instance of Notepad, maybe you could try pasting them into Wordpad. Also, if the option to paste is greyed out, you might not actually have copied them into the clipboard. You could try hitting Ctrl-V, which is a paste function, but I doubt it'll work.

Another possibility would be to open Wordpad first, and then open the Notepad file with the letters into it.

I like Notepad for a lot of things, but in the past I've learned that it is somewhat limited. For example, it has limitations on the size of files it can handle. That might be the issue here, given that you say that the letters "cover seven A4 pages."

Hope this helps.

#3 geotan

geotan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Dialer,
Using WordPad solved my problem.
I had never used it before.
GEORGE.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:27 AM

You're very welcome, George. Glad it worked out. :huh:

Wordpad is such a quick and handy utility that I rarely even use Word or any other word processor unless I have to read a file that won't open in Wordpad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users