Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Sp2 And Bulk File Permission /ownership Changing.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 L Lloyd

L Lloyd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:57 AM

When I recently reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP2 I backed up data onto another HDD. Now due to the motherboard only has one connector for PATA, and that HDD and the DVD-RW are on different sides of the case (DVD-RW at the top the HDD at the bottom) I unplugged the HDD to plug in the DVD-RW. So the HDD wasn't connected when Windows XP Pro SP2 was being installed. After install I reconnected the HDD to find all the ownerships still set to some SUID ( Owner: S-1-5-21-602162358-152049171-839522115-1003 ) along with all the permissions with out Administrator or my user name included. Meaning I could read the files but I can't delete or move them. I set the Owner of the Root to Administrators group and the permissions to Administrator with Full Control but it didn't propagate on down to all the subfolders or files. So I need a way to propagate a mass owner change which hopefully will let the permissions to propagate too. Someone said to try the perms.exe file in the Windows 2003 Resource Tool Kit but it's broke. I get the following error when I run perms.exe ...

"perms.exe - Entry Point Not Found"
"The procedure entry point RtReleaseRelativeName could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll"

Couldn't find jack about it on the 'net. Just stuff for 2k Pro , but this is XP Pro Sp2 and it's fully up to date including MSIE 7. So I am at a loss. I need a tool to set every single folder/subfolder/file to Owner: Administrators (or my username) and Perms giving the Administrators group Full Control so I can selectively move stuff out (most of it, some files stay) with out having to wipe out the entire drive to do so. :thumbsup: Anyone can help? Thanks!

L. Lloyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:57 AM

Hey there, L Lloyd, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try this:

1. Click the Start button then click on Run...
2. Type cmd and press enter. This will launch the NT command shell (looks like DOS)
3. Now type the following into the command shell and press enter:
cacls X:\ /t /e /g Administrators:f
Note: replace X: with the appropriate drive letter

#3 Atish

Atish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:39 AM

Hey there, L Lloyd, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try this:

1. Click the Start button then click on Run...
2. Type cmd and press enter. This will launch the NT command shell (looks like DOS)
3. Now type the following into the command shell and press enter:

cacls X:\ /t /e /g Administrators:f
Note: replace X: with the appropriate drive letter

While i am executing this command on c: drive it is getting struck at boot.ini . So i am not able to give full permission to user for c: drive .

Please help

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

Open Windows Explorer
Locate boot.ini
Right click on it and select Properties
In the window that opens, remove the Read Only and Hidden chechmarks from the bottom of the General tab
Run Amazing Andrew's instructions.

Go back and replace the Read Only and Hidden attributes on the file.

NOTE: This will only help you with the boot.ini file - any others that crop up must be handled on a case by case basis (and there could be an awful lot of them).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users