Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Accidentally Touched My Mother Board.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zhanshi

Zhanshi

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

Hi, I was looking at the new motherboard I got (taking a shot at building my own computer), and I didn't know there was a hole in the side of the bag and accidentally touched it. What are the chances that it's broke? I have heard a lot about the dangers of static electricity to computer parts, and I really don't want to have to buy another one, because I am poor enough as it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

when you touched it did you get zapped like when you have a staic electric charge?

#3 Zhanshi

Zhanshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

No, but I heard that that can happen without you feeling it.

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

no, it'd been like when you touch a doorknob when you have static electricity built up.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:37 PM

Actually the threshold for a static discharge that you can feel is around three thousand volts and an IC can be damaged with as little at ten volts.

Put that puppy together and fire it up, it probably ain't broke. :thumbsup:

I would suggest that when you do go to assemble your components to discharge yourself to the metal case before handling components that are vulnerable to electrostatic discharges (ESD), that would include you RAM, motherboard, PCI cards, and the circuit board on the bottom of you hdd.

Edited by dc3, 14 November 2007 - 11:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Zhanshi

Zhanshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

Thanks. :thumbsup: I suffer from paranoia and OCD, so even little things like that wreak havoc on me. xD

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:41 AM

Thanks. :thumbsup: I suffer from paranoia and OCD, so even little things like that wreak havoc on me. xD

No problem, OCD and paranoia can be hard to deal with, we have other members that share you problems. I hope this experience will be pleasurable for you. Let us know if you need any assistance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users