Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W32.myzor.fk@yf Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mistydawn1685

mistydawn1685

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

Yesterday after my brother in law was on my husbands computer, my husband noticed a new program on his desktop he didnt recognise. I do not remember what it was, but he removed it, scanned and removed 23 other infections. later when we logged back onto the comp his homepage was redirected to www.thesafteyfiles.com saying he has W32.myzor.fk@yf Virus and to dowload a certain client to fix it.
I tried changing his homepage, I reran Mcafee and it found 1 more cookie which it corrected, but Internet explorer continues to redirect us, and a bubble keeps popping up also.
I read the preperation guide, but he has Vista and I do not even know how to get to the run log to start the process!!
My husband believes it is a trojan, not an actual virus, yet mcafee doesnt seem to be fixing it, plase help!!
( I am on my computer not his, as we dont want to do any more with it that may cause more problems.)
thanks in advance for the help!!

---------EDITED TO ADD: DLed Adaware and it got it, it was a trojan :thumbsup: We will be purchasing the full version Of Spyware Dr. very soon for my husbands comp and our laptop to prevent this from happening to them (again). (I already have it)

Edited by mistydawn1685, 14 November 2007 - 11:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:02 AM

Just to be sure, then, the problem is now resolved?
Thanks,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 mistydawn1685

mistydawn1685
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:43 AM

yup its taken care of. thanks so much for still following up though, if we run into problems again, I will be sure to bring it here. Even the preperation guide in itself was helpful :thumbsup:
Misty

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

If your malware problem is resolve you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state. Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but newly created Restore Point.

Then to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
"The 10 Biggest Security Risks".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1" and "Hardening Windows Security - Part 2".

Safe surfing and have a malware free day.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 mistydawn1685

mistydawn1685
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thanks a ton, we forgot about setting a new restore point. We will be setting a new one now and using the disk cleanup. Thanks for reminding us of thie, we would have hate to have to this problem again!
And once again thanks everyone for being so quick to respond and helpful! :thumbsup:

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

Your welcome.

Glad we could help. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016