Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Invaded

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fsaares

fsaares

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hello, I was on the internet firefox to click on a blog and a screen popped up saying my computer was infected with malware and to download "Rogue Malware Alarm Installer. I have free Zone Alarm. Spybot s&d and have AVG free virus protection. I think the malware may have gotten in. Logged out Rebooted in Safe mode and ran Superanti spyware under a full scan. Rogue Malware Alarm Installer showed up. I quarantined it. Did this remove it or should I download Rogue Remover? You have a great forum here and I have learned so much just reading the topics posted. Thanks for teaching and providing lots of information to all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

Are you getting any more alerts that your system may be infected?

To be on the save side, try performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

Hopefully SAS got rid of it. You should empty your cache files in Firefox.
If you install NoScript addon for Firefox you want have to worry about "driveby" installs of malware. Sounds like that may of been what happened.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Edited by buddy215, 14 November 2007 - 10:49 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 fsaares

fsaares
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

Sorry I have not gotten back with you about my malware problem. Thanks quietman for the suggestion for on line scan . I went into your link and found panda and scanned . Is that a good on line scanner ? I was thinking about buying activescan pro by panda. The scan found several cookies and maybe possibly viruses "appl/Superfast virus.Trj/rebooter and Appl/KillApp.B . I quarantined them. Hopefully they will not give me any problems. Thanks for your advice.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

Panda ActiveScan does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms...and scan for rootkits. If adware/spyware is found, then you can use SUPERAntiSpyware Free.
You are using AVG free which is a good anti-virus. There is no need to buy Panda. Just use its oneline scanner (or one of the others) to supplement AVG.

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

The type of cookie that is a cause for concern is the "tracking cookies because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners. Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups nor do they install malware.

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. However, you can minimize this by reading "Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies

#6 fsaares

fsaares
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the answers quietman 7. I went into safe mode and scanned with a2 free. The cookies I found were tracking cookies "jffb87thb.default\cookies. txt:21,txt:86,txt:105,txt:110,txt:154,and txt:162.as well as TRojan.Win32.Agent.lf. Hopefully I got all this mess out of my system. I did a deep scan on a2. Thanks for the help . Ill keep you posted.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

If your not having any more issues, you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users