Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP PLZ!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

Im new to the forums- and I have a big problem with my pc. I will describe it as best I can.

Well Today I logged on and I couldnt see the start bar at bottom or any of my desktop items, although I can see my background- normally restarting my comp would fix this problem, but I have tried repeatedly to restart it and It dosent help. I can press ctrl alt delete and do new task, but all of the programs and files are now messed up- Every time i try to open one I get the error This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.- The problem is I cant open my control panel without the start toolbar at the bottom. OH and in case the reader was wondering how i can open internet- I go into ctrl alt delete, than run and than browse and than i right click on a previous text file or something like that and click open with and use the expand to use firefox. Also i tried to back up my hardirive- but it said that the backup program wasnt installed on my pc (wrong) Here is a list of things I have done to try and fix the problem that didnt work-

-used all of the f8 features when I restarted my comp- none worked no safe mode or anything

-restarted, rebooted, logged off, multiple times

-inserted win xp disk in hopes that I could repair- but it wont auto run either.

HELP WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:08 PM

Hello Jim and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I did some research and this is what I found:
Hope something works...

One

If you are able to get to My Computer and your Control Panel, you may want to do a System Restore. That information is found here.

Let me know how it goes.

~67~

P.S. Does anything happen if you put your cursor right where the Start button was? If it changes to anything, try clicking or double clicking or right clicking to see what happens.

#3 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

no dice- oen of the probs is that I cant open most types of files now- inlcuding the system restore- most programs give me the option to open with now cuz the control panel file system is screwed up or something. Oh and no, nothing is on my desktop period, no start thing and i cant scan over it- i cant even right click on the background to change esktop settings. But what you said would definatly fix it- there is just no way that i can find to open the system restore- I cant even go through help and support :thumbsup:

Edited by Jimdigriz, 18 February 2005 - 04:22 PM.

#4 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

oh now i have found the help file- but microsoft allways encounters a prob when i open it and shuts it off :thumbsup:

#5 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

Try booting into safe mode and run system restore from there ?

Just repetedly tap the F8 key while starting up the computer then see if you can do it from there.
JTH

#6 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

yeah- but safe mode changes nothing with the prob- system restore still isnt availible.

#7 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

This is like- Ive got all my files- but none of them work at all like i put in a game disk and got the cd to autoplay- and than instead of playing it wanted to install it- altho i allready had it installed. I tried the same thing with the win xp disk, so it could install xp but instead it wont let me click the install button....im getting really pissed lol.

#8 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:22 PM

welp im done screwing with this comp for the weekend - any suggestions while im gone i would love! thanks for all the help- altho nothing did lol :thumbsup:

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:07 PM

There are a number of things that can cause this, and a trojan/virus is one of them. Have you tried using your Windows key? (The one between Ctrl and Alt) - that should bring up your start menu. If it doesn't, I'd suspect that something's corrupted or missing. If the Windows key works, you might type the Windows Key + r and use the run dialog to type sfc /scannow and see if the system files are corrupt or missing.

When you open your task manager, what programs are running?

#10 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 02:54 PM

I cant use the windows key- my desktop is virtually unusable- It could be a virus tho- not exactly sure. The only things that run in task manager are procceses.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

If you can get into the bios then set it to boot from the XP CD and try a repair install.

Go here and scroll down to How to repair install.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

I cant get into bios, bc I either forgot, or never learned the default password for it as admin. Is there a default password for bios? And for more description on my problem- Its like my desktop is not useable but i can see the background- but no items on it and no start bar or any thing and when i run a new task i can only run a few programs because my folder options dosent have any programs or files set right any more.

Edited by Jimdigriz, 21 February 2005 - 04:57 PM.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:09 PM

You should not need a password to get into the bios unless one was set which is unusual. Did you try tapping the Del key as the computer first starts? Sometimes it can be F1, F10 or F12.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:59 AM

Yes lol I know how to get into bios and yes for sure, there is a password set. Btw it is my computer and mine alone meaning i either set the password and forgot or it was default. The point is, i cant get into bios, and that is one of the major problems, because that drastically removes the possibilities of reparing this problem.

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:09 AM

There is a workaround for that but I'm not sure what the policy on this board is concerning defeating passwords. I'll check with the powers that be.

Do you know what the model number of your motherboard is?

Sorry about stating the obvious to you but sometimes its hard to determine the level of expertise that the users of this forum have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users