Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Motherboard!`

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xtinox

xtinox

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:05 PM

ok so i have a dell dimension 2400 (Piece of crap). my friend has an Emachine t3304 with a motherboard that has a Nvidia 6100 (NOTHING BIG) and we were trying to remove his fan(the one on the motherboard) and we broke the piece it was on.(white platform) and i was wondering how to fix it because i want to add his mother board to my dell. any ideas?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

Hi xtinox,

First let's figure out what broke.
I think this is the motherboard in question:
Posted Image
FIC K8MC51G

Is that right? If so, which part of the MB broke (refer to the image)

#3 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

the white square on the right side of the motherboard where the fan would go.
Posted Image

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

Posted Image

This one?

#5 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:59 PM

yes. that piece. the white piece chipped.

Edited by xtinox, 14 November 2007 - 07:00 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

That could be a problem then. That white square is the CPU socket.

However, if the broken part came from the part that holds the fan on, you may be able to fix it with simple glue. I've never even thought about doing that before so I can't offer any opinion on it's effectiveness. But, it seems to me that so long as the CPU is securely seated and the heatsink/fan assembly is securly in contact with the CPU die then everything should be ok. You may want to monitor the CPU temperature for a while to make sure their is enough thermal transference between the CPU and heatsink.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

If the socket is broken in the area where the pins of the CPU are inserted then could have a real problem, I wouldn't place a lot of trust in it being safe to use.

Another consideration is what is going to happen when you introduce that new motherboard to you old hdd. This usually has adverse results and in most cases will require you to reinstall the OS. I f you are going to go this route I would suggest that you back up all of the files that you want to save before you try this. I you are interested you can read the specifics about this here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:44 AM

well dc3 the reason i was planning on using his motherboard was because his pc wont turn on, and he gave it to me. so i decided to use it for parts lol. should i just try to fix the pc he gave me? but it still has that cracked piece..can i get that piece somewhere?..BTW im going to take his dvd rom also.

Edited by xtinox, 15 November 2007 - 08:44 AM.

Posted Image

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

Is the CPU socket broken where the pin are inserted?

If you look on the back side of the motherboard where the CPU socket is attached you will see all of the pins that have been soldered to the board, you would have to remove the solder from each one of these to remove it. You would then have to make sure that each hole is open so that you can insert the new socket, if you can find one, and then solder each of the pins with out leaving any solder bridges. It can be done, but it's a chore.

You could try to repair his computer, what happens when you fire it up, any fan spin, any LEDs lite up, any beeps?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 xtinox

xtinox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

lol, it doesnt even turn on lol. i was hoping to atleast salvage his motherboard
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users