Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Problem Winxp Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Yeddi

Yeddi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

I have no idea what's going on with my computer.

It's an oldish Toshiba laptop with WinXP, a week ago I accidently spilled a little beer on the keyboard and despite drying attempts it didn't work properly, but the computer was fine. I went out and bought a usb keyboard which also had a USB mouse, pluged them both in and it was all okay. When I restarted the computer the next day Windows wouldn't recognise the mouse so I restarted again, the computer wouldn't turn on completely, it kept on booting straight into Hibernation and when I leave hibernation it comes up with a blue screen error that says there is an Error, and it 'dumps' the physical memory.
The error is something like:
STOP 0x0000008E (0x0000001d, 0x800b2000, 0xf89556f8, 0x00000000)

If I press F8 I can get into Safemode, and this is fine, both the keybard and mouse work in this with no errors, and where I'm posting from. I did a full scan with SpyBot Search and Destroy, and Avast Antivirus and everything was clean.

I've tryed doing a diagnostic startup through msconfig but the computer wont reboot properly.

I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:48 PM

STOP 0x0000008E

You should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. Read "How To Use the Event Viewer Applet".

An easy way to use Event Viewer is to create a log as follows:
  • Click Start > Run and type: eventvwr
  • press Ok or Enter.
  • In the right pane, right-click on "Applications", select save log file as, and save the log to your desktop as app.csv
  • In the right pane, right-click on "System", select save log file as, and save the log to your desktop as sys.csv
  • You can use Notepad to open each .csv file and search for any problems.
A free tool you can use to view your event logs is WinAudit.
  • After download, double-click WinAudit.exe to launch.
  • Under "To audit your computer...", click the Here link.
  • WinAudit will start examining your computer and generate a System Overview Profile.
  • Under Categories in the left pane, select Error Logs.
  • There will be three sub-categories: Application Errors, Security Errors and System Errors.
  • From there, scroll down the list to view the logs.
  • You can click the "Save" button at the top to save a report in .html format.
There are suggestions for troubleshooting power supply, video card, CPU, RAM, MB and hard drive here and here.

I've tryed doing a diagnostic startup through msconfig but the computer wont reboot properly.

Using MSConfig to access (force) safe mode can be problematic when there is malware on your system and can make your computer unusable. Some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot into safe mode or back to normal mode. If you use the /Safeboot option on the Boot.ini Tab to force safe mode when the F8 key does not work, it could have disastrous results. The Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file and you may be locked in a continuous reboot loop afterwards where you cannot get back to MSConfig and undo your selection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users