Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up Files For Business

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wagcon

wagcon

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can answer me a question - what would be the best backup system to use for a small business.

We use Quickbooks, Microsoft Office and Lotus. I have tried a seagate personal jump drive and that just locked up. I have used CD's but right now I am in the process of having a Dell Rep come fix my CD-Rom drive that is messed up.

Can anyone give me a good system that is not expensive and that will not die, locked up, or anything else?

Thanks

PS: I hope this is in the correct topic area

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

There are many free backup utilities. Whether WHAT equipment they backup and what data or images, WHERE, and HOW, matches your needs needs to be determined. See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

For money, Acronis True Image and other Acronis products both for home and business are very good. Check out their site, http://www.acronis.com

In business, nothing short of at least two external drives would do, in my opinion. Many consumer products don't last that long. So while you consider the price of hardware and software, please don't forget to think about the price of recovering (or not) lost data if a backup drive fails which they do at some point. That's about the only SURE guarantee :thumbsup:

#3 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

Winbackup 1.86, free and simple to use.

http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?27000000036770

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

The best method is to back up to some medium that can be taken with you, off site, in case there is a fire or the server/workstation gets totally fried. An external tape drive or REV drive (like Zip drives) will wind up being the most economical, as you can reuse the media over, unlike CDs. (and don't put important data on Re-Writeable CDs).

If you are concerned of a hard drive crash of your system, the best method for redundancy is a RAID 1 mirror. Some of this can depend on your motherboard and whether it can support RAID 1, as many nowadays can. If it does not support RAID 1 you can purchase a controller card that will come with RAID 1 capabilities. This way, if your system hard drive ever goes south, you have a mirror you can boot into to repair the situation.

If you can't afford that, then creating an image of your system using True Image of Ghost to backup your system monthly and doing weekly backups up to CDs of important data would be the minimum I would suggest.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users