Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Edit "all Programs" Menu In Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oldmaven

oldmaven

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

I have Windows XP SP2 and all recent updates. I also have a lot of programs in my All Programs list, and would like to edit the list by putting similar programs into folders. For some reason, I can no longer do that; right-clicking does not bring up the usual context menu. How do I fix that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldmaven

oldmaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

Sorry, but that doesn't work, either. Sometimes, nothing happens; other times, it opens a Move Items dialog box which would move the folder in question to some specific drive and folder (but would that update the Registry so the program would still run?)

However. what I want to do is add folders to the All Programs menu and then be able to drag and drop programs into it. That used to work, but no longer does.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

I have no idea why you would want to do that, but...

The items reflected in Start/All Programs...are nothing but shortcuts. The actual programs all have respective folders which are viewable/accessible from the My Computer/Exporer/C: view.

Putting those programs in other folders would accomplish nothing positive. You would merely delay or prohibit XP from easily accessing the programs when it needed to...and you would probably create some system foulups when "combined programs" reflect the same file.

Seems to me the better thing to do would be to uninstall programs which are unnecessary or used infrequently, but I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

I agree with Louis for the most part, but it's possible to do a little house cleaning
http://pcworld.about.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 upperlevel

upperlevel

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

Im saying that you can delete those folders you dont use from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
If you have seperated accounts on your machine, replace "all users" with the name of your account (your name)

#6 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Try turning on the Enable Drag and Drop feature on the Start menu.

Right-click the taskbar >> Properties >> Click the Start Menu tab >> Click Customize >> Click the Advanced tab >> Check Enable dragging and dropping

Once you have enabled that option, you should be able to edit the All Programs menu.

Post back if you still have issues.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#7 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

Yes, of course you will want to 'drag and drop' in All Programs.

The All Programs right click (context) menu is by default different from that on the desktop. "New>" just doesn't exist. To make a new folder in All Programs, it is necessary to first make the folder on the Desktop and then drag it to All Programs.
-OR-
Open C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Start menu\Programs and work there. It is a folder like any other, and there you can create new folders as you wish. Once you have created your folders, you can go back to All Programs and drag the desired shortcuts to the proper folders.
You will notice that not all entries in All Programs seem to be listed in the Documents and Settings folder. This is normal. The folders you create will appear in All Programs.

I was delighted to learn that the width of the columns in All Programs is proportional to the length of the longest entry. I went through and renamed everything to 20 characters or fewer, and now the list that was taking up the whole screen is just two small columns each about an inch wide. Who knew?
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#8 oldmaven

oldmaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:44 AM

Drag and Drop works now, and thanks.

I can't drag folder icons from th4e desktop, because every time I click on anything outside the Start stuff, the Start stuff disappears. I'll try the other hint tomorrow.

By the way, there used to be a way to alphabetize the Start menu -- how's that done?

And what does it mean when it says that moving somethhing or renaming it "will affect all users"?

#9 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:14 AM

To alphabetize, right click any entry in All Programs and choose "Sort by Name." Be advised that you will get 2 lists. First all the 'folders' that have sub-menus, and then the single entry programs in another list at the end. I drag and drop these end ones to completely alphabetize the list.

And Yes. The changes that you make will affect the way that all users of the system will see the changed or moved folders. But you're actually improving the useability, hein? So be it.

AND. You can drag stuff to the start menu. Drag the folder to the Start button and don't let go. Just hover there for a second. The Start menu will open. Continuing to hold, drag up to All Programs and hover a little more. It will then open. Continue to an open spot and drop. Usually it will default to the top the first time. You can then drag it wherever you want.

If you left click and drag, you will get a copy of what ever it is. If you right click and drag, when you let go you can select "Move here." No copy left behind.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users