Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A Lot Of Advice On A Big Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GMFarmer

GMFarmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

I havent upgrade my pc in about 4 years and decided its time for a upgrade, right now I have a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz 2405.3, 1.5GB DDR, GeForce 7600 GS AGP 8x 512 MB, and my motherboard is a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe.

I'm planning on upgrading my processor, to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116027
my memory to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231032
and I have yet to find a power supply.

Now looking at my MB, will be processor function normally with it and perform nicely?
As for my memory, there are 4 slots and I want 1 set which would make it 3.5GB, would it work with the 1.5 ithout any problems and perform nice or do they have to have the same CAS? will it give problems to my processor?

As for the power supply, I really dont know what to get, right now the one I have has a max output of 450W, but everytime I restart my PC it says that my video card doesnt have enough power from the power supply, thus it lowers its performance, so I'm guessing I need more power, shall I get something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341002
and if yes, how do I know it'll fit in my pc tower?

thanks and any advice is greatly appreciated, I just dont want to screw this up, its a xmas present from my family and they want all the pieces to work fine without a new MB. thanks again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

I am no guru and have never built an INTEL machine before, however I will use my experiences to try and help you.

The good news is... Your motherboard supports both the processor and the type of memory you linked to. However there are some notes you need to be aware of. First, the new CPU is supported by your motherboard but the BIOS version must be 1003. See this link (ASUS CPU support list), plug in your motherboard model, and it's all the way at the bottom. The second note is that while your memory is supported by your motherboard, if its a different brand than your current memory, it may cause problems. It may not, but on the safe side I would try to shoot for the exact same brand of memory. CAS latency is important but you can have slower or faster timings than your current memory, it will just use the latency of your slowest memory is all.

To answer your questions about a power supply... That PSU is very nice, probably overkill for what you need but you could use it in future builds if you ever plan on doing that. It has more than enough power though in my opinion. If your PSU is a poor brand, sometimes it can't support all of the components inside and out of your computer but OCZ is a reliable brand so nothing to worry about. Other reliable brands include Seasonic, Enermax, FSP Group, and Sparkle power. Do you have a lot of your USB ports being used via external harddrives, peripherals, etc? That can bog down your power supply as well. As far as knowing what type of power supply can fit into your case? Well, what type of case do you have? IF you know it's an ATX style case which is the standard of what PSUs/motherboards go by when it comes to fitting inside a case, you are good to go. If it's micro-atc, or BTX, you may have issues. I hope this all helps ;) Good luck!

Keith

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

I have the exact same MB but with Prescott 3.0GHz HT processor. I am running with 3GB of RAM, all Kingston, and it runs great. I had 2 512MB sticks before and recently got 2 more 1GB sticks ($30 ea). I figured it was pointless to go beyond 3GB as it is only 32-bit XP. :thumbsup:

Just make certain you get a decent Video Card, with 256MB of RAM (or thereabouts), so you don't use any system memory for your video.

And I also agree, that looks like a nice PS. Shouldn't be any problem fitting it in, as long as it is a standard case. :huh:

DR

PS: the BIOS is actually up to 1009.

Edited by rigacci, 14 November 2007 - 08:29 PM.

#4 GMFarmer

GMFarmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:24 AM

K Mills, thanks for your post; I'm woking right now on finding out the BIOS version, just to be safe even tho rigacci said is up to 1009 now, I hope i dont have to update it since the asus website said theres some risk... I dont know what kind of tower case I have but I can give you the measurements; H: 20.4 W: 8.2 D:17.5; its pretty big IMO but you never know lol my current PSU measurements are : H3.3 W: 5.8 D:5.7; and theres plenty on space for the D and a some for the H.

Maybe I should go with a 600W PSU than a 700W? I heard 700 might be a bit too much.

rigacci, I think I'll go with the Kingstons; someone else recommended those too, you did mention theres no point going over 3GB, I was planning on puttion 4GB; can you tell me why? might save some money with just 3GB.

btw , and whats the difference in 2 CAS latency from 3 CAS? I also use all my USB ports, should I get one of those expantions that expand it to 4+ ports making it 7-8 ports? or is it a bad idea?

EDIT: one last question when I'm set, get the processor, BIOS updated, RAM ready to install and PSU in which order should I do it? Should I do the processor first, make sure everthing runs right? then shutdown, install the RAM, run the PC make sure its ok and then the PSU? How should I do it and do I have to back-up any of my data because of changing the processor? Will I loose anything? thanks.

Edited by GMFarmer, 15 November 2007 - 11:36 AM.

#5 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

Thank you for getting the dimensions for both parts, however this does not help us in determining whether the PSU will be right for your case. Try to figure out what case you have and what standard it goes by (ie. ATX, BTX, micro-ATX). Then we will be able to help you further with that issue

The reason why getting 4gb is not sensible is because XP 32-bit does not support more than 3gb of RAM. So having 4gb would be a waste unless you had a 64bit version of your operating system which most people don't.

The lower the CAS latency, the faster it is.. 2-2-2-3 memory would be faster than 3-3-3-5 for something like similar to that situation. Will you notice a difference? Probably not so I wouldn't worry about it. Memory has come a long way since it was first introduced.

I have never used one of those USB ports but it may be a good option for you if you use that many ports. I still have a quite a few free so I have no need for it. Do some research and you may find the answer you are looking for with that.

There's no specific order on how to add them but you may want to try them each individually first to make sure you have working parts... Eventually you will have to make sure all the new parts work together so you may try just adding them in first to see if they work and if it doesn't start substituting the old parts in to see if they still work. Either way will work, just be patient! Always ALWAYS back up your data just to be safe. :thumbsup:

Keith

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Judging by the case dimensions (mid/full, tower), and the fact that the motherboard your using is an ATX form factor, I would say the power supply, should work.

As far as additional USB ports go, a USB hub is one option.
Another option, if you have a free PCI slot, would be to go with an expansion card, like one of these.
That way you wouldn't have an extra peripheral on your desk, that you need to run wiring to.

If you decide to go with a USB hub, be sure to go with a powered one.
One that has a power adapter, that plugs into the wall.
That way, it won't pull off of your powersupply, and they tend to be more stable.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 GMFarmer

GMFarmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

K Mills, I looked it up further and the tower is a ATX mid tower like tg1911 thought. I'll be getting the 3GB of RAM then, saves me some money.

I believe I found the BIOS version, I couldnt find it on the MB but the ASUS website said that its also shown on the start up(harder to read). first it says BIOS revision 1009(in the screen that the ASUS website suggested) and tells you the specs of the CPU and later it changes to another screen that loading up and mentions BIOS version 1.00.0.37, so I'm in confusion in which is the right one, its prolly 1009 like rigacci said

tg1911, i'll def try one of those USB things.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

I use both types, and haven't had any problems with either.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

I believe if you go into BIOS it lists the BIOS version there also. Those screens always fly by too fast.

The BIOS update was very easy and they are usually well worth it.

With 4 USB ports in the back and 2 more in the front, you should have enough. If you are plugging things in and out, an extra USB hub is nicer. Then you have it right there in front of you. (plus the power issue tg1911 mentioned) If you are plugging things in and leaving them, I would prefer to plug them in around back. Makes it neater.

I usually start with the MB with the CPU, 1 stick of RAM and a video card, laid out on a table. Once I know everything is good, I put it into a case with an HD and/or a DVD drive.

Good luck.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

I believe SIW will show the BIOS tag
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

Doesnt the "Pause/Break" button freeze the startup screen so you can read it?

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

Doesnt the "Pause/Break" button freeze the startup screen so you can read it?

Ihad one that would freeze when you held the shift bar
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 GMFarmer

GMFarmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

Used the SIW, this is what it says about the BIOS:

Property Value

BIOS Version A M I - 9000505
BIOS Date: 09/05/05 16:00:33 Ver: 08.00.09
BIOS Date: 09/05/05 16:00:33 Ver: 08.00.09
BIOS Date 09/05/05
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
Version 1009.003
Release 09/05/2005

The rest is pretty much some other stuff.. so it would be where it says "Version"? so its 1009, i'm pretty good for the processor then?

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

excuse me, let me play devil's advocate here?

I wouldn't spend 100$ on that old a system much less 200$, the 200+$ would be better applied to a system that would support
core 2 duo or amd 64 X2. Sure add more ram, it's cheap but why upgrade a cpu that's so obsolete.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 GMFarmer

GMFarmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

DaChew, I agree with you but I dont have much choise personally right now, but defenetly I will replace my whole system for my next upgrade.

Now this is what I came up in buying:

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116027

RAM: one set of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820141308
and one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820141307

PSU: I might prolly get this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341002

one quick quest on the ram, even tho they look and have the same specs. the single one has a different model number, it doesnt matter right?

another one, will I have to re-install my OS if I upgrade any of this? I am missing some of my OS disks and numbers, so taht'll be a problem.

thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users