Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Taskbar Or Desktop When Starting Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vision2000

vision2000

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

After downloading some software, my laptop has been infected with some serious virus; now when I login to my computer, the taskbar flashes for a split second before it disappears. Also there is no icon showing on my desktop; all I see is the blank windows background. I have to start any application from the taskmanager's file/new task menu option. Please help. I tried to run regcure but it didn't help.
Please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar - #195 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .vbs file. Then, double click on the file to run the script. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 vision2000

vision2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

Hi, thanks for looking into my problem. I tried the suggestion, but nothing happened after running to tool. After rebooting my PC, still there was no taskbar nor desktop showing. Any other suggestions? Thanks,

#4 upperlevel

upperlevel

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

When you download something to desktop or when you install a new program, does that show up? and mabey do a system restore. Or download ad-aware personal and do a scan. Look in the process section of task manager and see if there are any tasks that don't have SYSTEM beside them and you did not start. Hope these common methods help!

#5 vision2000

vision2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

Yes I can download and install software. I did ran adwatch and avg virus software but no succ. I also tried to install trendMicro virus scan trail version (I had a prior trial version of trendMicro PC-cilln 2007 but expired), but my computer kept saying that I need to restart the computer in order to install new or remove the trial version. I rebooted many times but trendMicro kept on asking me to restart; so I quit doing that. I know how to ran hijackThis but I am not with my lap top right now. Do you think you can take a look at the hijackThis log tonight for me? Thanks,

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

You need to read this first
Preparation guide for HJT
Then post it in the proper forum, little bit further down the main forum page
Good luck and be patient
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users