Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Device

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 freeborn

freeborn

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:36 AM

I have a old Asus laptop. Recently I tried to play some songs using Window Media Player. But the error message said that either there is a problem with my audio device or there is no audio device. I checked under Device Manager and there are 2 listed:- a) intel® 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller, :thumbsup: Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device. I don't know which is which. How can I have my audio device back? I uninstalled iTunes some months back. Could this be the problem??
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hi freeborn, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Two questions for you:

1. What's the model number of the laptop?
2. Do other sounds play correctly (i.e. Windows startup sound, sounds on websites, etc?)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:16 AM

Well...the first (AC 97) is for audio, the 2d (unimodem) is for voice modem phone operations. Unless you are on dialup, you probably ought to disable (in the BIOS settings) that and the modem itself.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 November 2007 - 10:16 AM.

#4 upperlevel

upperlevel

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

UHH... do you have the volume control icon in the task bar? if so, right click it and select open volume controll andmake sure one of those devices is selected as the speakers. hope this helps!

#5 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:46 AM

Hi, my laptop model no. is M1300. There is no sound when the laptop startup. There is no volume icon at the bottom right hand corner. When I go to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices/Volume, it says there is no audio device. By the way how do I go to the bios setup in laptop ? I press DEL before Windows starts, but it is no use. Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

To enter BIOS:

Try pressing and holding the F2 key...OR tapping the F2 key while it loads. My source wasn't clear which works, but it is the F2 key.

Louis

#7 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:21 AM

Hi, I managed to enter into BIOS setup. But there is no settings for audio or unimodem or whatever devices.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Not to contradict...but there (probably) are settings in the BIOS for any onboard (came with the motherboard, does not require a separate card/component) devices (e.g., modem, audio, networking/LAN, and video in many cases).

A BIOS provides these settings to give users more opportunities to finetune/tweak their personal systems. Even though I have onboard video on this system, I prefer to use my ATI AIW card...and so I disable the onboard video in the BIOS for this system.

If you go through the various screens available in the BIOS, you should find the settings.

Louis

#9 freeborn

freeborn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:51 AM

O.K. In my bios setup, the broad settings are as follows;-
- MAIN:-
System Time
System Date
Legacy disk A

Primary Master
Primary Slave
Video Display Device
Installed Memory

- ADVANCE:-
I/O Device Configuration
Serial Port A
IR Port
Paraller Port

- SECURITY
- POWER
- BOOT
- EXIT

As can be seen, there is no settings for audio device. I have tried uninstalling the device and let Windows detected and reinstalled. Still no use. I even uninstalled the unimodem device, also no use. When I go to Control Panel/Sound & Audio device/volume, it says "no audio device". In the audio section, it said "no playback device" But in the hardware section, the AC'97 is listed and even said "this device is working properly". How to make AC'97 the default playback device. Is there something to do with the registry??

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,442 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:04 AM

You need to click on the Advanced Screen. There is more than one screen, each with details about certain functions.

Please read the directions in the BIOS for navigating and making changes.

Louis

#11 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

Try to go to driver management window. It's under hardware on System Properties.

To go there, right click on My Computers and go to properties. Then :

a) Go to device manager
b. Scroll down and look for Sound tree files.
c) Delete all of it.
d) On the top tab, the icon with a lil monitor and a magnifying glass. Click on it.

System will scan and detect which plug and play hardware you have and needed. If your driver is still intact it will auto install and everything would be good. If not a driver installation via cd is required. But there is a possibility of a hardware failure if nothing happens after a good clean install. Anyways, hope this works for you and good luck.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#12 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

It looks like you guys have covered just about everything, i don't really have anything NEW to add, but since i have taken the time to read through all the posts here, i figured i'd bat cleanup here and sum things up in one post for any newcomers.

You can enter the system BIOS by pressing [F2] repeatedly during the Dell Splash screen prior to the Windows XP splash screen - your laptop or desktop may beep at you (or not if there is still no audio device installed), but its OK, its the machine's way of telling you "...i got it, you want to jump to the BIOS..."

So first we noticed that there were no sounds when Windows XP boots, no sounds when the Desktop environment loads. Next we noticed that there was no Volume icon in the Task Tray (lower right hand corner where clock appears). Still not absolutely sure but suspected there's no audio device installed - you are able to turn off the Task Tray Volume icon so that it doesn't appear when the Desktop loads.

We wanted to verify whether or not there are any audio devices present by checking the Volume tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices applet:

| Start >> Control Panel >> Sounds and Audio Devices |

When the applet loads, the Volume tab is the first one to appear and it should have read out "no audio devices installed".

Next you should check the Device Manager to see if there are any devices which appear to be present but do not currently have a device driver installed:

| Start >> right-click My Computer >> select Manage >> select Device Manager node in left hand pane |

-OR-

| Start >> Run >> type devmgmt.msc >> press [Enter] |

Once you have the Device Manager opened, you want to look for any devices that may be present, but no drivers have been installed for them. This would be indicated by a yellow circle containing a white question mark (?). NOTE: it may not necessarily appear under the Sounds, video and game controllers branch of the hardware tree; the Device Manager may simply indicate that there is a 'PCI Device' present with no drivers installed. If nothing appears with the yellow circle beside it, run a scan for hardware changes or Plug and Play (PnP) devices.

To scan for hardware changes or Plug and Play (PnP) hardware:

| right-click on your local machine (the computer icon at the top of the hardware tree) >> select Scan for hardware changes |

-OR-

| select Action (Alt + A) >> select Scan for hardware changes |

From here, you should see at least one hardware device appear with a yellow circle containing a white question mark next to it. In my experience any unrecognized devices for which there are no drivers installed appear as 'PCI Device'.

Hopefully you have your drivers and utilities CD-ROM handy, but if not, there are workarounds. Load up your drivers and utilities CD-ROM and select your machine model and select My System from the pull-down menus - the CD-ROM may automatically select those items for you in the pull-down menus. Find your Audio Device driver from the selection list and choose to extract. The self-extracting zip files should run you through the routine of installing the device drivers.

If you do not have the drivers and utilities CD-ROM handy, check Dell's support website for drivers and downloads using the link below:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=dhs

You can enter your Dell Service tag to get machine specific drivers and downloads for your computer.

Endnote:

I had a similar situation happen to me specifically with the Sound card when i installed a ghost image cloned from a Dell system to a similar Dell system, but the two computers did not have identical hardware. Basically the same situation happened, i had the Volume icon missing from the Task Tray (lower right hand corner where clock appears), when i checked the Volume tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices applet, a message indicated that there were no audio devices or drivers installed. All the radio buttons and other selections were not available, they were present but appeared as if all radio buttons were depressed and could not be used. Come to find out that the CPU, chipset and sound card devices were upgraded in the new system which rendered the Sound card unusable and due to the CPU and chipset difference, the drivers could not be loaded from the drivers and utilities CD-ROM. I found that there was a 'PCI Device' in the Device Manager which did not have the drivers installed for it - this turned out to be the sound card, however, it did not appear under the Sounds, video and game controllers node of the hardware tree. Long story short i had to rebuild the machine from scratch and reinstall all the devices and drivers in order to make a new ghost image specific to the upgraded machine.

Chalk it all up to learning experience...
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users