Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware.cyberlog-x Infection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nezalhualixtlan

Nezalhualixtlan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

My wife's computer just got infected by Spyware.CyberLog-X. I'm not sure where she got it from, but all of the sudden she's getting a large amount of pop ups telling her the computer is infected and trying to get her to go to websites to buy bogus programs, and getting a number of system tray icons (the yellow triangle with ! - with all kinds of misspelled words in the popup balloon which clued me in they weren't legit).

Anyway, McAfee doesn't seem to be recognizing whatever the problem is and I'm not really sure what to do to fix it, as whatever is causing the problem just keeps comming back after a McAfee scan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

If your using Win XP or 2000, please print out and follow the generic instructions for using SmitfraudFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to remove the Smitfraud/Generic Zlob".
(scroll down to where it says Removal Instructions; ignore the part that shows symptoms in a HijackThis log as they will not apply your case.)
If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!

Next, download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP, Vista)
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover and follow the prompts.
  • During installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • If the program does not open after installation, double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch.
  • Select "Check for Updates" and click Download if any are found.
  • Wait for the updates to finish downloading, then Close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and follow the onscreen directions to remove anything found.
  • If nothing is found, exit RogueRemover.
  • If RogueRemover finds something, it will present a list of detected items.
  • Click "Remove selected", then Yes at the prompt.
  • Wait for the removal to complete and then close RogueRemover.
If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator.

Then download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under "General and Startup", make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Nezalhualixtlan

Nezalhualixtlan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

Ok, so my wife's computer looks to be fixed mostly (I used everything you detailed above), we're no longer getting all the pop-ups to try out anti-virus software and its running much more quickly again, but one thing is still problematic.

When my wife boots up the computer, it gives her a "RUNDLL" error.
"Error Loading: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ssxtclhe.dll
the specified module could not be found."

That .dll name looks suspicious to me, and it appears there is still something trying to load it if that's comming up, even if the .dll itself has been cleared by the process that was detailed in your above post.

Is there anything else to try or should we be concerned with this error?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

RunDLL32.exe is a legit Windows file that loads .dll files which too can be legit or malware related. The Cannot find or error loading message usually occurs when the associated .dll has been removed and it then becomes an orphaned entry in the registry. The file may have been removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan, the uninstall of a program or use of a specialized fix tool. However, the associated registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up.

I'm not finding any information on ssxtclhe.dll so you need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download and run Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file in the error message.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users