Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't See The Usb Drives Without Rebooting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

I have xp pro version 2002 with SP2 and lately what has been happening is whenever I hook up a USB thumb drive or USB powered external HD (pocket drive) I hear the initial sound but that's it. In the past a new window used to pop up asking what I wanted to do with it i.e. open folder or play music using WMP or what ? But now nothing happens. So I go to my computer to see if new drive is listed and it isn't. Just the C and D drives. But if I leave the USB drive attached and reboot, it shows up under my computer. I have troubleshooted and all of my USB ports are working fine I even deleted driver for my maxtor pocket HD and re-installed it but nothing happened. I am getting tired of having to boot everytime I wanna "see" the new USB device.

Any ideas how I can fix this ?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

what is the make and model of the motherboard, or is this a brand name pc?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:37 AM

This is a bit of a long shot but I have heard of it solving USB problems.

Switch off your computer and then unplug the power (if it is a laptop remove the battery). Leave it for about 30mins, then plug it back in and boot. I'm not sure why this might solve the problem, it's something to do with allowing residual current trapped in the motherboard to dissipate. :thumbsup:
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

This is a bit of a long shot but I have heard of it solving USB problems.

Switch off your computer and then unplug the power (if it is a laptop remove the battery). Leave it for about 30mins, then plug it back in and boot. I'm not sure why this might solve the problem, it's something to do with allowing residual current trapped in the motherboard to dissipate. :thumbsup:

Tried the unplug but that didn't do it. thanks for trying.

#5 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

what is the make and model of the motherboard, or is this a brand name pc?

It's a Dell optiplex GX260. Not sure how to find what mother board it has.

#6 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

Still searching......

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

A tool worth looking into: SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users