Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driveragent

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dryver

Dryver

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hello, First off, I'm a complete newbie, about 15 months on a computer, and I found a web site, DriverAgent.com,, OK, I did the free scan and yup, you guessed it, 40% of my drivers needed updates.. This is my first machine, an XP Pro from Dell. Well I took the results of that scan and tried getting my own driver updates, Ha, they don't make that easy do they !! OK, what I would like to know, does DriverAgent work, it would be handy for me if it does, are there any horror stories, suggestions, alternatives, any help at all would be appreciated, Thank You in advance to all the brilliant minds that run and visit this Great forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:30 PM

I don't update my drivers unless there's a problem with the computer that may benefit from doing the update.
Updating a perfectly good driver to a newer version could be problamatic.
There is a good reason why MS put the "Roll Back Driver" option in device manager.
If DriverAgent is the same as it was a couple of years ago you need to pay to get the updates. What does that tell you about the site?
X

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:52 AM

I agree with CTH_Tom. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Dryver

Dryver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

Thank you Tom & Budapest, I respect and will abide by your knowledge and opinions, actually my machine is running really good at the moment, knock on wood, so yes, why mess with it. What I forgot to ask in my original post was, Are there possible security risks involved in not updating these drivers?? It seems those evil genius's out there can exploit any loophole !! (I don't know how to spell the plural of genius) As I write this, I'm thinking this just might be a non-issue, but I just don't know. Anyway, if you check back, maybe you can shed some light on this and set me straight, thank you for your time...

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

You also have to remember that most hardware manufacturers put upgrading XP drivers on the back burner for now while they try to improve the mediocre VISTA drivers
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Dryver

Dryver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

That's a big 10-4, Thanks Mark !!

#7 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

Not much of a chance of malware getting on your computer from a driver update, unless you use a site other than the manufactures.
I would be more concern of software installed on my computer that is vernuable to malware if not updated.
Here's a good site to scan for software updates, not only Windows but 3rd party as well-
http://secunia.com/software_inspector/
X

#8 Dryver

Dryver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hi CTH Tom, I clicked on your link, clicked "scan now" and the page just reloaded, I tried this 3 times, same result. Could it be that I'm using Firefox?? I'm gonna log out and try it in IE, i'll post back later..

#9 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

I just now tried it with FireFox with no problem. When you first click on start scroll down the page a smidge and there should be this message-
Status / Currently Processing:
Java Applet loaded successfully. Press "Start" to begin.
I pressed start the second time and the scan started.
X

#10 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

(I don't know how to spell the plural of genius)

Here ya go: geniuses. :thumbsup:

Dryver, do you have Sun Java installed on your computer. The scan won't work without it.

CTH Tom, thanks so much for that link! I had used that site years ago but had completely forgotten about it.

Edited by Dialer, 15 November 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#11 Dryver

Dryver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

Hi CTH Tom, before I read your last post I went to Secunia with IE, and that site works real nice, found one missing update, I got it installed ok,.. As far as FF, yes the Java applet loaded, but I didn't get the "start" button, after hitting "scan now", the page reloaded, and it all just started back at the first page.. This could all have something to do with the 41 addons that I have including "track me not" "safe cache" and others that I'm not 100% sure what they do, they just sounded good at the time. I also don't allow cookies, which maybe I should have allowed with Secunia, I don't know. Probably operator error !! Why does everything have to be so freakin complicated?? But I digress, I bookmarked Secunia and will experiment further, that's just the kinda site I need.. Ha, dang it, I just went to Secunia and allowed cookies for the session, and it worked!! I'm learnin' ,, just like when I tried to "reply" on my very first post, I tried to reply to Garmanma when he was helping me, hittinng "Add Reply" just don't work without cookies enabled, I lost an hour of hunting and pecking due to that mistake, well CTH Tom, thanks for putting up with me, and I appreciate the link, things just keep getting better,, have a good day and a better tomorrow.!!!

#12 Dryver

Dryver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hey Dialer,, Ha Ha,, you must be one of those "geniuses" that's so cool to help me with my spelling, I really got a kick outa that !! I was born in the '50's, and I need all the help I can get.... And as far as Secunia, I wasn't allowing cookies, once I did, everything worked good, I thank you for your post, you put a smile on this old face !!!

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

Hey Dryver, I think you're doing fine! There's soooo much to learn when it comes to computers and the internet.

As for all those add-ons, you should probably look into them to find out what you really need and dump the rest. They can get in the way of a number of different operations. I can't be specific, 'cause that's about all I know - LOL!

#14 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:04 PM

Hey Dialer,, Ha Ha,, you must be one of those "geniuses" that's so cool to help me with my spelling, I really got a kick outa that !! I was born in the '50's, and I need all the help I can get.... And as far as Secunia, I wasn't allowing cookies, once I did, everything worked good, I thank you for your post, you put a smile on this old face !!!

Heh ... we're cross-posting.

Whew. I'm relieved you weren't offended by my spelling correction (I wouldn't have done it if you hadn't mentioned it, though). :flowers: I ain't no genius, just a retired editor. As for age, I've got you beat by at least a decade and maybe even a few more years than that.

Glad you got things working OK. I'm having a blast at Secunia discovering all my security holes because of the ancient programs I've installed. :thumbsup:

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:15 PM

Oh Oh, does that mean we're going to be graded for spelling now? :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users