Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Few Questions Regarding A Dell Motherboard And Ram Speed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Computer_Newb

Computer_Newb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Dell Dimension 4700 with some new ram.

My motherboard is Dell INC. model number: 0M3918

Some guy told me to check out this link for the RAM (Crucial RAM Store for my PC) but then told me that I would not benefit from the highest speed of ram because my motherboard only likes PC2-3200 RAM. I'm a bit confused because I would like to get the higher speed ram like they say is compatible with my PC but don't want to waste my money on high end RAM if its gonna work the same as the lower end RAM.

Also where would I be able to find out what speed type of RAM I can use with said Motherboards? I've been searching the net but haven't had any luck learning the ropes.

Thanks for any help,
JG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hello,

Well I will answer your last question first. On that link you provided, the left hand side below the ram choices is what your motherboard supports as far as ram. How much ram does your machine currently have? If its got 1gb now, I would just add 1 more because 2gb should be enough for everyday tasks on the computer.

Your motherboard supports the DDR2 RAM at various speeds (pc4200, pc6400, and pc5300). I would first check what speed your RAM is currently in your system and just buy that if you are just adding an extra gig or something. Saves you money and RAM always clocks down to the lowest stick's speed. Try downloading a program like Everest to get the details of your RAM or just go into your BIOS and check.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

P.S. Newegg is great for buying parts; be sure to check prices elsewhere as well

Keith

#3 Computer_Newb

Computer_Newb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

Hi thanks for replying,

I'm currently running 2x 512mb sticks (PC3200)

I'm aiming for 3-4gb ram. I plan on taking out my current ram and replacing it with 4x 1gb sticks.

The main thing that I'm confused about is people saying that anything higher then PC3200 wont run at the proposed speed. Example: I buy PC6400 and it will only run at PC3200 speed on my PC. Which is why i want to find out how I can determine what speed I can use with what ever motherboards I'm looking for.

And as for www.Newegg.com , hehe its how i found these forums :thumbsup:

#4 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

I am confused... Your motherboard should only DDR2 memory according to the website you posted but yet you have just DDR ram? If that's the case, what people are saying is true. Not only will faster memory clock down to your current memory's speed but DDR2 uses a different amount of pins so you wouldn't be able to use them on your motherboard anyway

#5 Computer_Newb

Computer_Newb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Nah, its DDR2-SDRAM

Here's a picture of the RAM stats in CPU-Z tool.

Posted Image

#6 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

So either get another stick or two of pc3200 DDR2 or get all new faster ones that I mentioned in first post

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:24 AM

There are two things that I would suggest you take into consideration, first is that the 32 bit XP will not recognize anything over 3.5MB or RAM. The other thing is that your motherboard supports dual channel, if you add RAM you will need to add two more modules in order to run dual channel. If you are going to use the existing modules then you will need to match the spec of that RAM in order to run dual channel.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Computer_Newb

Computer_Newb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

There are two things that I would suggest you take into consideration, first is that the 32 bit XP will not recognize anything over 3.5MB or RAM. The other thing is that your motherboard supports dual channel, if you add RAM you will need to add two more modules in order to run dual channel. If you are going to use the existing modules then you will need to match the spec of that RAM in order to run dual channel.

So if i run 4 1gig sticks, it wont run dual channel? Can i run 2 512mb sticks and 2 1gig sticks and still run dual channel?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

BTW someone told me that if i run 64 bit XP it will recognize 4gig of ram. Would i have to do any special settings if i decide to go with XP 64 or will Installing the XP 64 OS be enough?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:52 AM

The point is that you need paired modules to run dual channel, and they have to have the same specs. Yes, you can run the two 512MB and the two 1GB modules.

A 64bit OS will recognize 4GB or RAM and larger.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Computer_Newb

Computer_Newb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:02 PM

Ok, because i have 2 pc2-3200 512mb sticks and 2 pc2-4200 1gb sticks atm. Would putting the 1gb sticks in mess anything up since they are different speed?

Also would i be able to put in lets say, 4x 1gb sticks and have it still run dual channel just at 3.5gb instead of 4gb? or will it not run dual chan like that?

Thanks for any help. that should be my last annoying question lol.

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Check here at dell support before you do anything. You cn also look up your machine by the service tag number, and find complete information about the original configuration.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users