Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Options

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 justinurse

justinurse

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

I had some big event?! that I am still recovering from. I got Windows to open then my IE back then Search then System Restore. But I can't find Internet Options. When I click on Control Panel then Internet Options I get just a flash of the hourglass, then nothing happens. When I go to Tools then Internet Options I get an error message, "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."
I have already gone through the process of me as administrator. And Spybot did not have those 3 boxes checked in Immunize. Please help.
justinurse
GOD.fm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

I'm assuming this has started since using ACE utilities reg cleaner? Your best bet, if you have an XP disk, is to run system file checker
Mark
http://www.microsoft.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

See if you can open internet options from the run command. Copy and paste
control inetcpl.cpl
in the run box.

Edited by CTH_Tom, 13 November 2007 - 03:44 PM.

X

#4 justinurse

justinurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

I haven't used my Ace utilities reg cleaner in a long time. Are yuo saying I should run it now? My XP disk says the version on my computer is newer than the CD and won't let me go further.
justinurse
GOD.fm

#5 justinurse

justinurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

Nothing happened when I pasted control inetcpl.cpl in run box. I clicked ok and just got flach of hourglass as the box disappeared.
justinurse
GOD.fm

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

I had some big event?! that I am still recovering from.

Can you explain this event in more detail.
Does your recovering from this event involve someone helping you removing malware from your computer?
X

#7 justinurse

justinurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

"The big event"- Late a couple nightd ago I tried to copy a photo off of music website. It was a Flash and I tried copying it using Microsoft Document Imager. I dont know why. Anyway, It just kept running and running. I tried using Task Mgr. to end it but it didn't seem to work. I was impatient and finally just turned off my computer with the on/off button. and went to bed. The next morning I turned on my computer and it kepy cycling through from a partial bootup to the Windows logo comong up with the little track moving at the bottom. Then it would just start all over. For a day it was hit and mostly miss. I got past some of it by using F8. thenI found a bunch was missing as mentioned in original post. Even the windows updare webpage was not visible to me. I found a forum that gave me a link: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp. After I used that I was able to see the site and download acouple things that got me back to where I am now. I think you can tell that I am not computer savy, duh.
justinurse
GOD.fm

#8 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

I would do an online virus scan to rule out any malware causing this.
This is the best virus scanner on the net at the moment-
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
X

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

I haven't used my Ace utilities reg cleaner in a long time. Are yuo saying I should run it now? My XP disk says the version on my computer is newer than the CD and won't let me go further.

No, I looked up other post you've made but I failed to note the date. I look them up a lot to get a feel for the problem and see if they're related
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 justinurse

justinurse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

I did the online scan. Just 1 minor adware.
justinurse
GOD.fm

#11 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:17 PM

There is usually a registry entry that does this. If I was you I would post a HiJackThis log in this forum and have it checked out for that restriction. Usually just removing the restriction from the HJT log will fix it but I would let an expert guide you on that.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users